• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

saltank

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get my sump installed. What I have is a Mag 7 pump going into a 14gal sump, I bought 1/2" inside diameter flexible tubing that I can't get onto the output of the Mag pump.

What size tubing will fit this? Also tried looking for a fitting to screw onto the output of the Mag 7, neither Homedepot nor Lowe's had a plastic fitting, had copper and metal, but not plastic. Figured I could find a fitting which would accomodate the 1/2" flexible tubing.

Looking for input on this, did I buy the wrong size flexibe tubing; by the way I already purchased a 1/2" ball valve and fitting for that to accomodate the 1/2" flexible tubing, including a quick disconnect.

Help me get back on track, please- and thanks!

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Bud, First off, what is the size of your main tank? You may just want to go with all 3/4 fittings and flex tube. These are some pics. of my mag 7. I used a 3/4 threaded pipe fitting on the output. You could step it down from there if you wish. I bought all the fittings from Home-Depot.
Also, If you are building a reef tank, don't use any copper pipes!!! The copper may bleed into your water and kill all of your inverts!

Attachments

• magpump.JPG
    magpump.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 610
  • flextube.JPG
    flextube.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 610
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a 1/2 pvc to barb fitting you can get. You may need to get a 1/2" x 1/2" threaded coupling because IIRC the 1/2 NPT tp 1/2 tubing only comes with male threads. You you wounce to go pump outlet-coupling-barb-hose. No not forget to invest in a plastic hose clamp.

This is what it looks like.

62173p.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do not use copper as mentioned above. It WILL leach and kill inverts and corals.

saltank

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. Yes I know not to use copper; I have a 46gal bowfront reef tank, been up for two years, just trying to add a sump to increase the overall health of the tank.

You may need to get a 1/2" x 1/2" threaded coupling because IIRC the 1/2 NPT tp 1/2 tubing only comes with male threads. - THIS IS THE PIECE OF THE PUZZLE I CANNOT FIND IN PLASTIC-been to both home depot and lowe's, they only have this part in copper, for some reason not plastic

The pvc to barb fitting I can get, but as you probably noticed the output on the Mag pump is threaded

Any other suggestions? Without having to glue pvc to the output?

Thanks

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC, the diameter needed for the Mag 7 is 5/8" ID. Did you try soaking the end of the tub in hot water to get it soft and then try to fit it on there? That might work.

My mag 9 was easy to find hose barbs/fittings for in HomeDepot. I've also found a lot of good fittings at Ace Hardware, if you have those around. If not, check online. Here's a good starting point: http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_plu ... sebarb.asp .

Good luck! :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need this guy.

27206p.jpg

Look for the white one (sch 40) It should be in a box right next to the slip x slip and slip x treaded coupling. The Mag 7 had a 1/2" npt male outlet and a 1/2 NPT female inlet. The part is less tha a dollar.

If you can not find it on your own ask for a 1/2" thread x thread coupling in PVC. I have a whols bunch I could give you if you lived nead by.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 46bf and I used all pvc no flexible stuff. I now use it as my chiller pump and a mag 12 for my return. Again I don't use any flexible pipe at all. Any reason you are going with the flexible stuff? It was easier for me to just use the regular pvc. That would be my recommendation, but if you are for certain using the flexible, than I can't help you as I have not used it so I have nothing useful to offer to this conversation lol. Sorry.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same as ranger. My return pump is hardlined into my bulkhead. I didn't use any flexable tube at all. went 3/4 PVC all the way.

Now that I think about it I don't have any flexable tubing anywhere in my system haha.. Not sure if that makes me extreamly sure of myslef.. or just not very flexable.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: