• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I went and got a Royal Gamma on Saturday with another chromis.

Guess what - the gamma is dead/mia. I haven't seen it in 5 days now even whgen feeding its not out. More wasted money. I guess this tank is not suitable to have fish whick means the corals will suffer because of no food and the tank will crash shortly.

I am going on vacation and I am going to accept that the chromis will probably be dead when I get home. Hopefully it wont rot the tank too bad.

I dont know what to do here.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, from what I can tell the chromis is still alive? If so then that is actually good news. It is a start in the right direction. Perhaps the royal gramma just did not adjust well. If the tank was truly bad the chromis would have died as well.

I think your post is good news.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas can be tough to get acclimated to captivity. I've always found them to be hit or miss. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself just yet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there ANY fish that do well in a tank?

First the clowns were no good then the chromis are finicky and now the Royal Gamma.

I dont get it.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
waymack97":1v1tcovt said:
damsel are indestructable. imo.
Put a damsel in freshwater. Actually, just take it out of the water completely. Tomorrow your theory won't be the same. :P :wink:

Rob, I agree with JP. And after all, your green chromis is still doing good. Did the newly acquired chromis go missing as well?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob_Reef_Keeper":3ib86hpj said:
I went and got a Royal Gamma on Saturday with another chromis.

Guess what - the gamma is dead/mia. I haven't seen it in 5 days now even whgen feeding its not out. More wasted money. I guess this tank is not suitable to have fish whick means the corals will suffer because of no food and the tank will crash shortly.

I am going on vacation and I am going to accept that the chromis will probably be dead when I get home. Hopefully it wont rot the tank too bad.

I dont know what to do here.

huhwha?

where are you getting this bogus info from? 8O

corals can't do well w/out fish in a tank? that's a crock if i ever read one

since you aren't posting any parameters, i'll assume they're ok...

try letting the tank run fallow of fish for a few months, and feed your corals yourself with the appropriate foods-gobs abound on the market, heh

THEN try some good sturdy reputable bulletproof fish (grammas are NOT that sturdy, generally, due to collecting and shipping stress issues, and their already shy nature-same for chromi-they ship terribly, and are usually starved to death before purchase-a very high metabolism fish that really needs some swimming room)

and NEVER add more than one fish at a time if you can help it ;)

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont count it dead just yet untill you find a body, if you have a lot of rockwork, it coud still just be hiding, I've seen fish just appear after a few weeks, recently I bought some LR from a friend, and a week later I noticed a small yellow wrasse in my tank, if your tanks isnt coverd on all sides, I would also check the floor, grammas have been known to try out carpet surfing on occasion

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I see from you on this board is death. And I'm not on here all that often. I think you need to take some serious advice from your peer group and look for attention more in the way of your successes. Sorry.

Bye now.

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a little harsh, but if you are having this many problems, I highly suggest you lay off of livestock purchaes, spend some mony on good books, join a local aquarists group, and get educated, then start adding livestock, as your methods thus far seems to be counter productive at best, it looks like you need new methods in a bad way, so just take your time, learn, and have fun with it, chronic death syndrome is not normal, and indicates one of 2 things, 1) your tank is way out of whack, 2) you might need to buy your animals elsewhere, marine animals are not something you bargain bin shop for, thats just asking for trouble, had a friend of mine with a beautful loaded tank, up and running about 5 years, he went to a so so place to try and find a cheap powehead to mix water with, came home with a not so hot looking blue carpet, he said for $50 bucks, he wanted to save it, in his main display tank, 3 days later it imploded, like I said it would, and took aout about half his tank, that was a lesson learned the hard way,the hobby can be frustrating, and lfs's dont really help, most of them steer you in the wrong direction because a) they dont know what they are talking about, b) they just want your money, but with the proper know how and some experience, this can be a greatly rewarding hobby

aquarius77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Royal Gamma may very well be alive in there and you just dont see it.
Dont give up hope till you see it dead, my buddy has one he recently purchased along with a BTA and after a week he wanted to search (remove rock) for them and found them both alive and well. The gamma had a nice cubby hole it found in a rock and im sure was not comfortable enough with its new tank to be out and about.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks for the comments.

The other chromis is missing as well as the gamma.

The one chromis is still living. I dont know why these fish die. I have been to 3 different LFS's now with the same results so I dont think its the fish anymore.

Vitz - the theory on this board is that the tank needs to be fed and to add fish. So I followed lots of peoples advices. The coral is living but not thriving and the colors are off.

The water parameters are all inline.
CA - 410
Alk 11.3 DKH
Mag - 1300
Ammon, Nitrate, PO4, Silicate - 0
Temp 79
PH 8.1-8.3
Sal 1.025

I will be changing the lights in a week or so (10 months old now)

The good news is NO algae.

BTW - Emily - Nice thread addition.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the tank as of tonight.

Attachments

• tank_11_19_06.jpg
    tank_11_19_06.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2,968

DaveMorris1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to chime in with the "don't give up until you see the body" approach. I have a Royal Gramma in my 6 week old 125g and it disappeared the second I put it in. I tried and tried but couldn't find him. Finally after a week, I noticed him in a small hole in one of my rocks. He is still a little timid, but seems to be getting used to the tank. Let's all hope for the best.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob_Reef_Keeper":3ebh1orl said:
OK thanks for the comments.

The other chromis is missing as well as the gamma.

The one chromis is still living. I dont know why these fish die. I have been to 3 different LFS's now with the same results so I dont think its the fish anymore.

Vitz - the theory on this board is that the tank needs to be fed and to add fish. So I followed lots of peoples advices. The coral is living but not thriving and the colors are off.

The water parameters are all inline.
CA - 410
Alk 11.3 DKH
Mag - 1300
Ammon, Nitrate, PO4, Silicate - 0
Temp 79
PH 8.1-8.3
Sal 1.025

I will be changing the lights in a week or so (10 months old now)

The good news is NO algae.

BTW - Emily - Nice thread addition.

the two can be mutually exclusive-fish are NOT necessary for coral health-meeting the coral's requirement's are ;)

there's more than one way to skin CO2 off a cat ;) :P

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good Rob, its come a long way! When a new tank is setup and needs to go through a cycle feeding it cant hurt. In anycase did you get any new live rock recently, any chance of a mantis? Is your top screened off in the back of your canopy? Anychance to check the tank at like 2 am with a flash light?

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats my thought as well, a shrimp or a crab that stowed away on some rock could have expensive eating habits, you might want to try setting traps, ever hear any strange popping noises coming from the tank?, especially when the lights are off?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: