• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kevindub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that brittle stars are not as popular today then a couple of years ago. I want to get a scavenger for my tank and I am still thinking about using brittle stars, the beautiful red ones. Are you guys still using brittle stars? Is there a reason I don't see people recommend or talk about these guys as much anymore?

Mike612

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting one last year but then decided not to in the end. They are good scavengers but my biggest fear was that the star might also grab one of my fish while they were sleeping. They are known to do that and that's why I personally didn't get one. I didn't want it catching my firefish or mandarin and the likes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and get a brittle. Keep away from the green ones, which catch fish, but not when they are sleeping, and you'll be fine. I really don't buy that catch fish while they are sleeping stuff. What will they hold onto a fish that is seriously objecting to being eaten with? They exude their stomachs over their food. How can they possibly do that to a fish that is startled from a slumber and fighting for life? They are considered scavengers for a reason.

I keep brittles in all my tanks, holding fish or not. I even have a yellow brittle in a 20 long that is just about as long length wise as the tank is and there's no problems.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read but didn't keep the article that some species are predators and others are not. Someone around here can tell us. WHO???

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green brittles are predators. They rise up on their legs and make what would resemble a cave...much like catfish do with their mouths gaping open. Then when a fish wanders in they will drop down while twisting, effectively making a wall of arms that the fish can't get out of.

And let's be realistic here. It's not like a 4 inch green brittle is going to take out a 4 inch tang. These obviously have to be very small fish for something like a brittle star to take down.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would go for something like a tongan nassarius, mini brittle stars, or mini-hermits for scavenging ability. I have a black brittlestar (which looks like pure evil!) and it doesn't do any harm, although I wonder how much scavenging ability they really have...

best way to deal with uneatten food, stop feeding so much.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try either the ruby (orange) or guady (maroon) serpeant stars. Both are safe and colorful candidates for the reef :wink:

Thanks for reminding me to feed mine :P

Blazin__

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never did care for them.. had one at one point and it kept making suck big holes under all my rocks they would move around. and make a bit of a mess with corals falling and whatnot..

spitfire

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get one. i have one and does wonders in my tank. every night it cleans off the sand of red algea( no skimmer yet) and it doesnt bother my corals . as far as fish are conserned i would be very supprised to see it getting a fish unless it was starving

spitfire

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get one. i have one and does wonders in my tank. every night it cleans off the sand of red algea( no skimmer yet) and it doesnt bother my corals . as far as fish are conserned i would be very supprised to see it getting a fish unless it was starving

dbsherwood

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't trust them. I had three in my old tank and I'm convinced one of them was a cold-blooded killer. My experience was that they tended to prey on the new additions to the tank, as they were under stress or least aware of where to avoid attack. I think there are plenty of other good critters out there that are guaranteed not to munch on something with fins.

sihaya

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust them either. Even if they don't start killing fish, mine started molesting my coral. They stole food and just walked all over everything.

Besides that, they just totally creep me out. I mean, look at them, they're hideous.

sihaya

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, the MINI brittle stars are a little different. I think they're cool. I'd recommend them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black one and it hasn't touched a fish in the 5 or 6 years I have had it.

I also have a tan and black serpent star.

Like above stay away from the green ones.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAve a brown brittle and a serpent star.

No problems what so ever. Cool tank additions.

It is amazing to me everytime I see the serpant snag a peice of food out of the water column. How does he/she do it?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: