• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm,

there is no nice way to say this. IMO/IME "No!"

these skimmers are hard to adjust, very picky when it comes to feeding and such, and overall, a waste of money. I have seen very few work at all and are hard to adjust. I would think an aquaC remora or cpr bakPak would be better.

if you are looking for the best HOB skimmer. is the deltec mce300.... this is the enxt skimmer i get or my nano. and if it works as i think it will it will the the only HOB skimmer i buy!

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch. you know..i have been having some trouble setting it right. too much water flow..not enough flow.....well. i'll have to see if i can return it. the problem is, this guy might give me store credit, and his skimmers are pricey. :oops:

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If at all possible I would trade it back in to your LFS or return the Prism. You generally want to stay away from the Prisms and the SeaClones. If you need a very good Hang on Tank skimmer I SERIOUSLY recommend an AquaC Remora with a MJ1200 for the pump. I've had one for a over 2 years .. been running it 24/7 and had ZERO problems. There is nothing to set or adjust.. you just turn it on and let it work. They are a little more expensive, but well worth it when you consider your investment in livestock. Don't skimp on lighting and skimming :)

That's my 2 cents.
B

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with SMS. the aquaC line truly is a setup and forget. what other skimmers does he offer? worst case is you use the credit toward things that you know you will use and buy online.

I am all about supporting the LFS. But there are times in which you need a product at a better pricepoint. Marinedepot... premiumaquatics...reefgeek are outstanding online retailers.

you can look at the sponsor page also and see what they have to offer. I have a boneyard of skimmers in my garage. I have owned a good portion of the common stuff you see online. from original venturi skimmers, becketts, needlewheels, and now the threadwheel....

i guess i am a equip junkie! :) let our purchasing mistakes benifit you by asking all the questions you want. My line of thinking is you don't skimp on two major purchases for your tank. Skimmers and lighting.

believe me, i have made those mistakes.....

let us know what we can do for ya!

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw coralife skimmers there. there is a used red sea berlin turbo, which is what i have on the reef tank, and is working quite well. he wants 20 bucks for it, but it's without a pump. so i'm up to about 80-100 by the time i get done. there are also some mega huge used white pvc looking skimmers, they seem pretty cheap considering the size, but i'm not familiar, nor do i remember the name of them, and they also were without pumps. i dunno. maybe i'll just buy a hundred dollars worth of livestock and/or rock and go somewhere else for the skimmer. :cry:

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, its in my closet, it seems do a much better job there than when it was hanging on my tank making it look like a big vat of alka seltzer, whist barely collecting any waste at all, make sure it has the recent impeller, its not that recent, I got mine when it first came out, and it had an 8 blade impeller I think, they replaced with one with more blades, it helped, but not by much, the design is all wrong, the reaction chamber is way way too small, and the pump is crap, you set it low enough to where you get soo contact time, and close to a dry foam, then a few hours later, there is no flow coming out of the return, it was a good basic idea, but it needs some major tweaking, from the factory, you really cant modify it much,aside from getting rid of it and buying something better. I bought the prizm to replace an cpr bakpak mark I prototype, which can be finicky, but not near to the degree of the prizm, I'm gonna break down eventually and buy a remora

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well. to think, i was alittle leery about spending 100 on an aqua c remora, and i ended up spending more on this substandard piece of equiptment. :oops: i'll be bringing it back as soon as he opens.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the CPR bak pak 2r. Great skimmer for tanks up to 60 gallons. I just so happen to have one ffor sale if you are interested. I have had one for years, this one for a year, and have had no issues what so ever. Great skimmers. Let me know if you are interested. It comes with the upgraded MJ 1200 instead of the rio and it also has the bubble trap add on for no micro bubbles in the tank.

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the skimmer ratings should be treated like amplifier wattage or MPG on a car, the truth is stretched to a great degree, rule of thumb, you want double what your tank is, I'm currently running two bakpaks on my 65H

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine on a 46 it is rated for 60 I believe. Worked flawlessly. But your tank is way to big for a bak pak.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
problem solved. i bought an ASM G2, but he got me with store credit, so i was forced to buy it from him at the crippling price of $279.99

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: