• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer produces some serious funk :P Does anyone see any problems putting an open box of baking soda in the cabinet to absorb some of the smell? I'm guessing there will be negligable chemical interactions but I rather play it safe.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda doesn't emit anything to deal with smells, it works similar to activated carbon in that the "smell molecules" get bound up in the material, so unless you knock the box over into your sump you should be good to go, heck they even have the refridgerator variety where you simply remove the side panel and it has a little mesh that allows odor in and keeps the powder in.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I've tried carbon and it does only a mediocre job with airborne smells. I'll give the refrig packaged variety a try.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3qa7mivd said:
Sounds good. I've tried carbon and it does only a mediocre job with airborne smells. I'll give the refrig packaged variety a try.

Good Idea, I may have to get a few boxes for my tank/laundry room. I think I complain about it more than my poor wife who is always doing laundry.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We already new that your tank stunk, but this proves it. :P

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an added bonus you can use it to raise your alk in the so called tank if you needed to right? I believe that is one of the DIY things. Correct me if I am wrong. Wait wait wait...did you say you have a tank?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try plumbing the air output of your skimmer to the input of your venturi-like-device.

No stinky air gets out of the skimmer cup then.

B

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium chloride is supposed to work wonderfully in skimmer collection cups! Just drop 8-10 pellets in there and you'll probably never smell it again! :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":2fsg60ob said:

After you clean the skimmer cup, pour in a thin layer of kalkwasser Len. Its so alkaline it slows down the bacterial stinky stuff growth, it really helps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: