• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its time for me to replace my MH bulb, currently I'm running a 250w XM 15k mogul base. I want to cut down on the blue, and increase the overall brightness of my tank, I'm thinking the XM 10k will be the way to go, in the 250 watt comparison page, I like that one the best, colors pop, nothing looks oversaturated, but whites are white, and you can see the finer details and gradual shifts in color that are masked by too much blue, my only fear is it will look yellow to me, which I cant stand. My tank is currently being ressurected from a summertime fishboil due to a blown AC unit last summer. Here are some pics of what it looks like now

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

currently I have 2 ho t-5 actinics, and 1 96 watt pc actinic, I have another pc I can add if need be, my main question is, do you think I will regret getting the XM 10k bulb? I want a more natural shallow reef look. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank looks nice. I run the XM10KK but in DE. With actinics it is white, whitout is has a yellow tinit to it.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered changing one of your HO bulbs to 10k white? I have DE 14k 250s and 3 VHOs. I changed one of three Actinics to 10k and there was a huge change in tank color. The florecent bulbs are a much less expensive way to experiment with color IMO.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered changing one of your HO bulbs to 10k white? I have DE 14k 250s and 3 VHOs. I changed one of three Actinics to 10k and there was a huge change in tank color. The florecent bulbs are a much less expensive way to experiment with color IMO.

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried with 1& 2 HO 10ks, and I wasnt happy with it, its time for me to the replace the halide bulb, so I figure this would be the time to try something new. I found someone in my local reef group that uses the xm mogul 10k 250 and she's really happy with it, and if I immediately decide that I dont like it after the first 2 or 3 firings, she'll buy it from me for what I put into it, so short of it exploding or somehow getting smashed, I'm in a no lose situation, thanks for the replies, and thanks for the compliment waz

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 175 watt XM 10K's with 2x40 watt actinics and the color was very white with a slight tinge of blue.

img02126hf.jpg

FB

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a 250W XM 10K. I also have 1 65 watt PC atinic.

Here what it looks like.

dsc00919_edit_938.jpg

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the 400W XM 10K. I think it's ice white with no yellow that I can see. It's an interesting look and definitely super bright. I wouldn't run it without actinics though (you seem to have enough).

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be here tomorrow, I think I'm going to like it from all the research I've done, with 2 t5's up front, and the 96 watt pc in the back it should balance out pretty nice

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: