• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Clarkii3

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iave had this hammer for 5 months and its been doing awesme, all of a sudden two of the heads look all small and nubby, is is the 3rd straight day, whats going on?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you seen anything biting at it lately? the only other thing i can think of is the closed part is lower and more shaded then the upper part. but i would think the bottom part would be more open as a result. :? can you twist it up side down to see if it improves?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave it be for a while, moving it would only be more upsetting. Sometimes before they split/form daughter polyps, they will retract like that, also that cleaner hanging out from the rock could be causing it to close up. It could be "none of the above" reasons :lol:

I wouldn't seriously worry unless it startings sliming and turning to goo.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above post. Mine close up like that every so often and it usually involves a branching of a daughter head. I also used to have a problem in the old tank of my cleaner brushing by them or picking particles out of them and they would close up. I would leave it be unless you see it start worsening with sliming or serious deflating.

Clarkii3

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow thanks for the replies everyone! the other sites im a member of, hardly any one answers, the candy cane had some dead branches when i got it, those are actually slowly comming back.

DaveMorris1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hammer that I had a couple of years ago did the same thing. It was huge. About 10" when it was real happy. It would go for a few days at half to a quarter of its size for no apparent reason. It would eventually come back to happiness. I would just be patient with it, but keep an eye on it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: