• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this will be for me a bit difficult for me to explain for I also cannot manage to show pictures of such things as an eel skeleton structure other then if I would draw them and then photograph them to post and then it would be what if all who views it will understand what they`re looking at.

Also note that I not know the skeleton structure of all species, just a handful at this time for in this research I do is relentless for I studied eels species all my life and owned dozens of species through the years to gain the much different understandings needed to best have the proper species as same tank inhabitants.

Now why I am saying I would do this is rather simple really for since I no longer answer eel questions in three other sites, I have loads of available time for myself, that is when im not helping in looking out for my grandchildren. For yes, im still doing my SPS corals research, but I have plenty of time there for I need to once again put together so much money to rebuild these tanks.

The reason of my asking if those who would enjoy something as this is for one thing, you would need to be a true eel lover and not just fascinated about the species. So what I can do is before going into taking so much time in typing an article, I will first draw free hand the skeleton structure in few diagrams and then photograph them after I describe to what is what.

Now do note that I am one hell of a slow typist and this could take months if not more then a year and what I can do is make it in parts. Like so many chapters and I will show this first to Len or whoever is at the head of the staff here before posting as well as possibly pin all this. Also I will however try in making this article as short as possible for I no wish to write a 1000 page book, just to share many things I learned through the years.

I will move slowly and carefully not to make so many mistakes and it might prove helpful maybe is I had me a co writer in all this to help in any corrections needed and would also take equal credit for her or his assistance in all this.

Now I use to draw many years ago so I might be at first a little rusty, but I know I can manage this, I just need a volunteer who has some background in writing for reviewing what I will put together and this will be far better then what I was doing more then a year ago at one other site for I will not only describe family species, but far greater data on eels in many areas.

I'm offering this too only two forum sites and in one has just about no eel questions and one gets often an eel question but not many, so maybe something as what im offering will not grasp your imagination. If anything I know about is that of eels and I can tell you that I owned eels for most the time I have been in the hobby, for sixty years plus. I had Eels for at lease 56 years for I owned my first eel at the tender age of eleven and began in the hobby at eight.

So let me hear from one who is interested in this and I will for now start on those skeleton diagrams and also will have what the structure area is called. And one other thing, the eel body is more complex then many may think.

So if the site administrators are interested in this and I can get me a volunteer co writer, I would start straight ahead in first of the diagrams of the eels skeleton structure and that until much is ready to post pin that it couldn't be moved unless one deletes it that only myself and the administrator and that of the co writer will see it until most is done with it.

For I will talk about not only the of the skeleton structure, but also of internal organs as well and that some of those I would also have to draw to show you what I be speaking about.

Buddy

PS. this I added on later, At that other site as here, I wasn`t able to sign in there as well and I thought that I could do that as I now do here by using Internet Explorer, so the offer is only here at Reef.org

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would be extremely interesting, and I look forward to reading it if you go forward with the idea, good luck with it. I've kept a few eels in my time, started out with a tiny snow flake ( Echidna nebulosa ) that out grew the 55g I had in less than 2 years, after that I kept a wolf eel (Anarrhichthys ocellatus) for quite some time until someone I had caring for it while I was away left the top of the tank open after feeding. I've always dreamed about one day keeping a hawaiian dragon(Enchelycore pardalis) I read your post about the pair your giving up, amazingly beautiful animals, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I hope thing take a turn for the better, once again good luck

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IceMan, It wasn`t an easy decision to make and right now in that tank the LR is laying all about for I needed to remove more then 50% of the LR to get the dragons out and now in the twin eel tanks setup, I only the pair of goldentails for I wish maybe they offered to buy the goldentails for that kind of money.

I had these goldentails from the time they were 7" and now it is about three years later and I feed them as most eels I feed, once a week.
Right now im talking to my new lfs I go too on getting the true honeycomb moray and believe me when I tell you that im not talking about getting me the Tess moray.

I not spoken to the store manager as yet, but im not in any fire hurry for the time being, I need to watch the money as I start later in saving for the rebuilding of the reef tanks.

I thought of taking some last pics and its giving me some mix up feelings that I couldn`t bare right now to see the photos I have of them in my photo album. I will heal of this of course for there was great reasons to making the decision I did and my daughter is hoping to sell her practice in a year time for she can no longer having as much stress that she has been having for it could kill her. I just wish I understood all that is going on medically with my daughter as I know about eels for all she told me I do understand that she can in time no longer perform her profession.

She still however will be the breed winner over her husband.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. To be honest, I'm not quite clear what you are suggesting ;) If you can summarize your idea, that would be great. If you wish to add content to the bulletin board or in the library, I am all for it. I personally do not have the time to assist but perhaps you can find someone in this community to help.

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len, im talking about drawing diagrams of the eels skeleton and body organs areas with the parts names and as well giving data on many areas of these species and I not mean the species names or anything as that for after the eel names comes specific data of the eels. For one thing you might know is that eels have swimbladders, but did you know how this works that in a protective area of their body is like a tubing which runs the length of their body and in this protective area is what's called swimbladder artery and a swimbladder vein and this works with the oxygen they take into their bodies for in this method their bodies must take in enough oxygen.

I think Len that telling you this must tell you in what I meant in all of what I said before for look around, who knows of the eels body structure for as far as I know, I was the only one with an eel on its back acting as it was going to die and had turned it around that he had returned to good health.

I'm talking about writing about the eels body structure and functions;

Skeleton structure in which includes the vertebral column:

Respiratory organs and swimbladder:

Possibly I might write of Organ of feeding and digestion:

Blood Circulation:

Blood, kidneys, gland and heart, etc Interrnal tissue

Nervous system and sense organs:

Developmental stages and distribution of the eel speices:

Age and growth:

And some odds and ends>

Also, who would assist me in this and understand that there be no rush for things do take me time and I will have much drawings to do in all this as well.

For I will need someone who has some knowledge in book writing or article items and that here at reef.org, you will share with me the full credit of all what comes from me and goes through you.

And also while you read it before you pass it to Len, you might come up with some ideas of your own which I might not had thought of myself and once one area is completed, either you who is helping with this sends to Len or myself and at the top your name will be as my co writer or assistance.

I will when the time start on drawing the diagrams which I will then take a digital photo so that I might offer others a better picture of everything.

Do I have me a volunteer? The most you will do is read and make what corrections you see fit>

Buddy

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was listening to TV and watching a little I was drawing one skeleton to start I made many errors on the lines I wanted to show and wasted much typing paper, so tomorrow I start some Xmas shopping and will buy some pencils and later if need be I would go over the lines with a dark marker pencil so that way I wouldn't waste so much paper.
For in this first skull it will show areas called:

Premaxillo-ethmovomerine bloc
Interorbital window
Frontal
Pterotic
Parietal
Epiotic
Exoccipital
Basioccipital
Prootic
Pterosphenoid
Basisphenoid
Parasphenoid

Now the words above I confirmed them as identikit ed for I have all these on a floppy and CD.
for after all, I do have many years in tracking down the data I been seeking for there is one other who I was trying to teach about the eels and he turn out not to be a nice person, but I told him that he has no idea in what I might be able to tell or show him. And as well, im not of liberty to mention names, but I am in contact with many researchers in the field for many decades. In which been another way for me too make my confirmations on what data I come about.

Also you would need one hell of a dictionary to every find those words for you should fine few of them, but not all>

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: