• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank shot was taken today.

Attachments

• reefshot.jpg
    reefshot.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,690

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1dg77k9x said:
Hey Terry, good to see the Achilles doing well. How did the Sohal fare?

I didn't get a sohal after the old one died in the moving wipe out The new tank has 2 purple tanks, 2 red sea tangs, one yellow, and one achilles. They were about the size of a quarter, and in two months have grown to about 3 to 4 inches in length. The tank with sump is 750-gallons, and I feed spirulina twice a day. Also, there's almost always nori hanging in the tank for grazing. The achilles was bought larger than the other tangs.
Here's a full shot of the tank.

Attachments

• reefshot2.jpg
    reefshot2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,677

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mr_X":2jng79q6 said:
do you have a clown trigger in a reef setting?
am i seeing things?

You are not seeing things, there's a huma huma and a clown trigger. I've never had problems with small triggers in reef tanks. The biggest problem with Humas is that they spit sand all over sessile critters.

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Terry,

the tank is looking good so are the fish. ? Do you think you will be able to keep 2 purple tangs in there wihtout too much fighting. I have been contemplating keeping multiples of the same fish in my new tank. So far I have only singles of each tang.. and was wondering if I could double them up.

sanjay.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF Founder":3dpaweyy said:
mr_X":3dpaweyy said:
do you have a clown trigger in a reef setting?
am i seeing things?

You are not seeing things, there's a huma huma and a clown trigger. I've never had problems with small triggers in reef tanks. The biggest problem with Humas is that they spit sand all over sessile critters.

so...do you get rid of them once they reach maturity? explain this to me. i have a niger that i am ready to remove from my FOWLR tank because i am thinking of going reef. do you have any cleaner/banded/fire shrimp?
crabs?

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, the achilles tang is my all time fave, thats the fish that got me started into this hobby, one of these days I hope to have a tank big enough to house one, or 9 or 12 :D

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am inpressed with the tank, very unique. Is that a a harlequin tusk in thre as well as two triggers? Do you have cleaner shrimp and crabs and snails and all that stuff? How do you keep things from not eating this stuff if you do?

very curious,
thanks

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shavo":39verdpj said:
Hi I am inpressed with the tank, very unique. Is that a a harlequin tusk in thre as well as two triggers? Do you have cleaner shrimp and crabs and snails and all that stuff? How do you keep things from not eating this stuff if you do?

very curious,
thanks

Yes, it a tusk fish, that and the achilles have always been favorites of mine, going all the way back to the 1960s. I don't keep shrimp, and the triggers and tusk don't appear to bother the snails or crabs. What I have found is that when there are predators in then tank the snails and crabs only come out at night.

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":qgo5hxke said:
That achilles is great! More pics? :D :wink:

Here are more shots.

Attachments

• reef3.jpg
    reef3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,471
  • reef4.jpg
    reef4.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,472
  • reef5.jpg
    reef5.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2,473

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanjay":r4agxln0 said:
Terry,

the tank is looking good so are the fish. ? Do you think you will be able to keep 2 purple tangs in there wihtout too much fighting. I have been contemplating keeping multiples of the same fish in my new tank. So far I have only singles of each tang.. and was wondering if I could double them up.

sanjay.

Hi Sanjay,

I put in two purples and two red sea sailfins as babies, about the size of a quarter. One adult achilles and one baby yellow. The babies are now after only a few months about 3 to 4 inches. Amazing growth. They fight, but there's enough room and hiding places so it doesn't come to much. If I were you I would try to put them in all together. I have to hang nori in two places in the tank, otherwise there's too much fighting at only one feeding station.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: