• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I am going out of town for a few days. Since my tank is still kind of new I am not sure of the evap rate. Normally I fill up my top off tank once a week and all is good. I'm going to be gone a bit longer than that. I know it is not ideal, but would it be a big problem for me to leave my RO/DI unit plugged in to the top off tank. I have a float valve and auto shut off so the unit would not run all the time.

A

Anonymous

FWIW, that is the most common failure point I have EVER heard of in tanks. That and heaters. If you ask me, I'd say no. Fill your top-off before you leave and let it be.

Think you can get away with that? I know you will have some evap, but a couple days past the exhaustion of your current top-off tanks can't be all that bad, can it?

A

Anonymous

If the top off tank runs dry it will be a big issue. The final area of my sump is kind of small and could run dry over a day or so.

pcardone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loose about 7 gal in a week. I have a 13 gal resevior filled with calcified r/o and a float valve. works fine for me. Or you could send a neighbor over to check it mid-week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: