• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DaveMorris1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along the same lines as my PH question....What is a good target range for ORP and what is the best way to adjust it? Currently it is running around 280 - 320 in my tank. Good? Or needs improvement?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people tell me it is not that important to worry about orp but ideally i think you should aim for over 300. people increase orp with more oxygen using pumps or protein skimmers or use ozone. also, remove detritus when you can.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten to the point where I don't really look at ORP any more. With strong skimming and water movement, my ORP never deviates much from 300-400. My old tank used to dip below this, but I couldn't see any problems arising from lower ORP. Personally, I agree that it's not something to worry about. I definitely would not make drastic changes to hit a target ORP value.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP is for people who got nothing better to monitor. For some of us, we use the money saved on ORP probe to get a frag from local reefer once a while.

Maybe that is a little bit harsh, but it does make my two cents more loud as I drop them on the floor.... :wink:

DaveMorris1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately the probe came with the controller and I got a great deal on the whole setup. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent real money on it.

Blazin__

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dupaboy1992":17fzitc2 said:
ORP is for people who got nothing better to monitor. For some of us, we use the money saved on ORP probe to get a frag from local reefer once a while.

Maybe that is a little bit harsh, but it does make my two cents more loud as I drop them on the floor.... :wink:

agreed

Rob Top

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to agree with all of you. Then I traded some of my PPE zoas for a ozone set up. The water clearity is amazing. The skimmer is producing so much more that I now clean it every other day instead of weekly. My superman danae is so red it is insain. Again I use to no buy into the hipe. Now I aim for 450 and things look better than ever.

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not agree with Rob Top more. I certainly don't have money to waste, but I would never run another setup with out ozone. I reluctantly added ozone because I had a bacteria bloom - WOW, what a difference it made. The water is crystal and my Euroreef skimmer is producing like crazy. The units sold for general aquarium use really aren't big enough to do any damage to fish or people. My unit runs 24/7 (ORP at 330), I don't use carbon and there is absolutely no "ozone" smell at all. I'll choose ozone over UV anytime.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most things in this hobby, there are two schools, and both can do quit well. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: