• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

sslarison

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know I've had like 3 sump threads but this is the last one I swear.

I am thinking about ordering the following sump: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...tegory_Code=MLA
(#3 in the picture the RS-200)

Its 30"x12"x16" 25 gal. So my question is do you think this sump is good for a 75 AGA? My one and only concern is that it will be able to handle the backflow from my display. The only return output I will have will be the one that comes back through the megaflow and I plan to keep it positioned pretty high. So this should minimize backflow. I dont want to have to rely on a check valve because I have heard bad things about them.

So if you guys give me the ok I am going to place the order today.

Thanks,

Scott

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott,

I think it's a perfect size. I had a slightly larger sump for a 120 gallon (30x15x15) which handled the backflow effectively. With your minimized backflow design, I don't see a potential problem. A good flapper check valve for the return pump would still probably be useful just in case. These flapper designs work pretty well IME, and if nothing else, they will slow the rate of backflow which may give you valuable time to deal with unlikely problems if you are around during the (intentional or unintentional) power interruption.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. FWIW, assuming 2" of water backflows from a 75g, that is only about 7 gallons of water. If your 25G sump is less then half filled, you'll have plenty of room to spare.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: