• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kevindub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are great help. One more pesky question. Are Sea Cumcumbers toxic? I have read Sea Apples are toxic when they are harassed. How about the other less colorful species? I don't think i will have anything that will harass the cucumber, but i don't want to risk it if it can "nuke" my tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All members of the Class: Holothuroidea are toxic as they contain a poisoness substance called Holothurin, hence their name. Many genera can poison a tank by evisceration (expelling their guts), caused by bad aquarium conditions, harassment, overcrowding, or even getting stung by corals or anemones, etc. Others expel Culvierien Tubules containing Holthurin out of their anus when being attacked or harassed causing death to their attackers.
Others can poison a tank by spawning.
Good skimming, activated carbon on hand and saltwater for water changes is a must if a cucumber decides to nuke it's environment.
Of course in many cases, in death they cause no harm to the tank what so ever.
If you keep one be vigilant and know that you may have to act fast to save your other tank inhabitants.

Regards,
David Mohr

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are more toxic than others, as each one will vary. A sea apple/powerhead incident would likely nuke an entire tank. When my Sohal attacked my tiger-tail cuke. The tang fed on the tubules without incident :?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: