• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the title sums it up?, what can you guys tell me about these?, I hear good things about them,how do they work? , What models work best for HOTB applications?,mantaince?, drawbacks? what problems will it solve?,will it create any? I have a slight hair algea problem, should this magically make it go away?,what brand and where to buy? thanks

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosban reactors are media reactors. It's just a semi-pressurized chamber that actively forces water through the media (in this case, Phosban). TLF's Phosban reactor (which is probably the one you're thinking about) has a nice reverse flow to more evenly distribute water over the media. I believe it can be used as a hang-on. I know Kent also makes one that is usable as a hang-on. Buy from Reefs.org's sponsors, of course ;)

Drawbacks? Well, you need a pump to drive water into reactors. That's about it. Benefits? It uses the phosphate absorbing media in a much more efficient manner. It won't create any problems and should help with your algae*. Maintenance involves simply removing the old media and adding new media.

*This isn't a magic cure. It will help by removing some of the nutrients that algae feeds off of, but if you are still importing a lot of nutrients (by not using a reverse osmosis filter, overfeeding, et al) or not exporing enough nutrients through skimming or water changes, you will still have algae. Phosban is just one tool that can help curb algae problems.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosban reactors are nice. I have a TLF one.

It's a nice little gadget to run phosban or carbon on, or both at the same time really if you like. Fairly inexpensive, easy to use, only needs a little pump, what's not to like?

Julius

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a reactor really necessary. This whole idea of forcing the water thru the substrate makes no sense to me. Any area with some decent flow should be fine. The water will come in contact with the center of the media regardless of flow. Take DSB for example, the water at the surface of the aquarium will eventually reach the bottom of the DSB. Please explain to me why we must force water thru the substrate.

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphate media and a dsb are two entirely different things, the more contact the media has with the water, the more efficent I think it would be, and constant movement would eliminate dead spots on the media as well, it would kinda be like the difference between chasing after butterflies with a net, as opposed to laying the net on the ground as waiting for them to land on it, is it necessary, no, would it be a good thing to have, I'm thinking it would be, they are cheap for marine equipment, and they arent one trick ponies either.

You have me kinda confused on the forcing water through the substrate bit, its a media reactor, as far as I know it has nothing to do with the substrate

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julius, you want all your water to flow through and come in contact with the media, it's a more efficient way to go about it.

Just dropping a bag of phosban or carbon in a high flow area works also, but not as quickly. Using a 'reactor' allows you to have a larger volume of water interact with the media quickly, thus doing it's job faster. You don't have to use one, but I think they are very nice.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree a reactor is a much more effient way to expose more media surface area to the water. I have never thought just tossing in a bag of media every worked well. The center media in a bag surely wont be nearly as effective as it would in a reactor. And for 35$ why not?

The never TLF reactors are better then the original design and Kents is nice also, both are priced the same.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one of Kents, it's a nice little unit that's been handy to have around.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: