• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

How long does the diatom algae cycle last? I am still getting this. I thought this should be over by now.

Tank has been running for 8 mos total. Am I doing something wrong?

Hey Crissy, it varies depending on your nutrient import. Mine last only about a month. It was really really bad at one point in time. After living with it for about a month, I decided to take a powerhead and blow all the diatoms off the rocks and do a water change. It didn't reappear after that. If you're not using a RO/DI filter, it will definitely help. I know these are generic answers, but I'd do a series of water changes too. There will always be diatoms, but at 8 months, it shouldn't be a big problem. If you only have mild diatom growth, I wouldn't worry about it.

I guess it's mild. Every 3-4 days I have a light amount on the glass that I have to clean off. I guess this is normal. I plan on doing a major water change this weekend. I use the water out of the aqua pure machine. I do not have a RO/DI unit yet. I do blow off the rocks every couple weeks. Should I being doing more often?

Thanks Len!!

It sounds like you have a regular amount of diatoms then. I wouldn't concern myself over it. RO will help though. As for blowing it off, I only did it in the beginning stages but never do it after the tank is established. It might not hurt though, but it's not something I do.

Thanks LEN!!

A

Anonymous

An RO/DI and TDS meter would greatly help in troubleshooting present and future water quality issues.

Without a TDS its really hard to say how much you're feeding nuisance algae (and diatoms...)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GratefulDiver":1ln93hx2 said:
An RO/DI and TDS meter would greatly help in troubleshooting present and future water quality issues.

Without a TDS its really hard to say how much you're feeding nuisance algae (and diatoms...)

I know this is probably a stupid question but what is a TDS meter and where can I get one?

i still have diatoms and my tank is 2 years old. i clean the glass twice a week

Me too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cvp7900":8wifom8b said:
GratefulDiver":8wifom8b said:

I know this is probably a stupid question but what is a TDS meter and where can I get one?

i still have diatoms and my tank is 2 years old. i clean the glass twice a week

Me too.

Me three. My TDS is <10 consistently and usually <5

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS - Total Dissolved Solids.

Bascially it will tell you how hard your water is.

Low is better, just like golf.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
browncj7":25m3w2wi said:

Thanks!

Where would I get this meter from?

Does it have to be specific for saltwater or any TDS meter will do?

S!mon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem until I got and RO/DI unit. I got sick of buying water at LFS, and it turns out the water I was buying was loaded with silicates.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cvp7900":3mwotkxl said:
browncj7":3mwotkxl said:

Thanks!

Where would I get this meter from?

Does it have to be specific for saltwater or any TDS meter will do?

A TDS meter is for the water that goes into your tank, not the water that is already there. Once you add salt, there will be high TDS readings.

It's most common use is to test how well your RO/DI system is preforming.

You can get them from many of the sponsors of this page (at least any that sell RO equiptment).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A properly functioning RO/DI system should give a TDS reading of -0-.

-0- is ideal. - Anything more is going to be feeding the nasties.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GratefulDiver":2zlkbsgx said:
A properly functioning RO/DI system should give a TDS reading of -0-.

-0- is ideal. - Anything more is going to be feeding the nasties.

Thanks GD!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: