• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jt481

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I know, the question has probably been asked hundreds of times. The aswer is probably in the forum somewhere it would just take time to find it. Or, I'm thinking there is no answer because everyones set up is different. My dilemna is I just purchased the Oceanic 30 Cube with stand. It is currently being drilled with one 1" intake with two 3/4 inch returns with squid. I want to have built a custom sump using all 18"x16" stand space without cutting that 9" slit in the rear. I already have a ETSS Reef Devil that I would like to use but it takes up so much space that I cant have the skimmer and refugium. I have been told also that I will have problems with micro bubbles with so little space in between the skimmer and return pump. I am thinking I can have a real nice large refugium instead of the skimmer. Any input? I will try and post pics of my proposed lay out.

jt481

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a preliminary lay out of my proposed sump. It is 18"x16".Basically the tank drain will enter the left rear corner and have some type of bubble diffuser or enter a sock for mechanical filtration. Water will then enter the skimmer portion which as use can see takes up nearly 2/3 of the real estate. Water will then go under a baffle raised 1" and up and over the 2nd baffle. Distance between the baffles is 1" in which I can place biobale or foam to reduce bubbles from entering the reurn section which I want as large as possible. I am not sure if I will have an auto top off installed, so, the more water the better on the right. Simmer section water level will be constant. I brought this to a lfs which specializes in reefs. He said I would have alot of problems with micro bubbles because the sump is small, skimmer is large, reef devil puts out alot of bubbles,and distance between skimmer and return is small. He recommends more mechaincal filtration and to clean every other day.
I am thinking that if teh skimmer is going to cause so many problems, should I go skimmer less and have a large refugium?

Attachments

• OCEANIC30 011.jpg
    OCEANIC30 011.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 800

jt481

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other option would be the AE Tech Reef Devil Compact Sump. I would however have to make the 9 inch space in the rear of the stand one inch larger.

Attachments

• OCEANIC30 005.jpg
    OCEANIC30 005.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 793
  • Reef Devil Compact Sump.jpg
    Reef Devil Compact Sump.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 794

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is a must have. I am sure someone here can come up with a creative way to fit one. Or perhaps an Aqua C could hang on the tank or something. Skimmer is critical. Oh yeah before I forget to mention it skimmer's are important. lol

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people do run nice skimmerless tanks. It can be done. If you do a search I'm sure you can find a more than a few skim or no skim debate threads here. Most people now days swear by them and wouldnt run without. If there is a cut out in the back of your stand, you could possibly put a HOB skimmer on your sump and have a refugium to. You will most likely have the tank four or five inches from the wall for maintance anyway.

jent46bow

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a skimmer is a must, and a fuge is optional.....Obviously both is the best of both worlds. Never compromise the quality of skimmer for a fuge though.

jt481

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never compromise the quality of skimmer for a fuge though.
I currently have a ETSS Reef Devil on my 75 FOWLR and I am happy with it. It is rated by AE Tech at 30-180? gallon. It would be kind of a shame to get rid of a good skimmer that I already have and I am sure it is more powerful than the Aqua C Remora which is rated at up to 75 gallons. However, so long as the Remora is recommended for a 30 gallon reef, its much smaller footprint and optional hang on application would mean I can have "the best of both worlds". Need more white cardboard for a new blueprint. I am not sure if I have a question here or if I am just typing out my thoughts. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: