• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I guess it is prefectly fine to sound like a newbie.... I see thousands... well, maybe not that much, but around 998 or so of very small snails, size anywhere from less than 1/32 inch to a bit over 1/8 inch all over the tank. They were not there until a few months ago, and I was expecting them to die off, but no, they are doing too well to make me feel comfortable.

I have a few turbo/astrea/etc., and unlike my previous tanks, I has not replace any of them due to "natural" die off. Very few algae in tank other than coralline (green and purple), and I am surprise that they are not starving to death yet.

I may get a pic if anyone feel it is important, but these snail are regular hitchhiker snail that I see in almost every tank (just not this much).

DavidY

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had your tank running? I've had mine for over 8 years now and my snails are reproducing like crazy. I have always seen their egg strings on the tank walls in the morning, but only during the past year have I started to see more and more tiny snails crawling around. They look like at least two different species, possibly ceriths and turbos. I've had several different kinds over the years but those two are the ones that have survived the best. The last time I added any was at least a few years ago.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spiral, round type, not the pointy one. Similar to turbo snail's, but with smooth surface and has some markings on them.

No egg string, and they don't seem to get any bigger than 1/8 inch. Tank set up about a year ago, but there are some rocks/corals that is more than eight years old.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably no biggie. You can see them on the glass, yeah? Do they scrape at algae? If you are concerned, this (among lots of other fish) will take care of them.

Halichoeres_chrysusAQ2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all over the glass, but I don't think there is much algae for them to eat. Right now, I have no plan other than keeping my mandrain fish in the 150 gal, maybe another one, but no other fish will be considered.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they are whelks due to the shape of the shell.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet their shells are black and white. Like polka dot kinda. Is that right? If they are, I pick them out of my tank daily when I see them. As time goes on, you'll get them down to managable amounts. I pick them out because they are ugly and way too many in the tank. Look up hitchhikers under snails in this forum. You might see them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chubosco":3v64rs7x said:
I bet their shells are black and white. Like polka dot kinda. Is that right? If they are, I pick them out of my tank daily when I see them. As time goes on, you'll get them down to managable amounts. I pick them out because they are ugly and way too many in the tank. Look up hitchhikers under snails in this forum. You might see them.

I can't find the link but your description is close. I will post a pic if I can't find the hitchhiker thread tonight. Thanx.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some that color are parasidic, pay attention to the shape of the shell to be sure you don't have the bad guys.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: