• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

acasden

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on a new tank to replace my 75. I like the look of the 150 better which is 72x18x29 in height but have read that the surface are is too small on the top and hard to get lighting to bottom. I could also do a 180 which is 72x24x25. Please help me decide which is more practical etc.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Width" rules when it comes to reef tanks. You need a wide tank to help facilitate aquascaping. My 300G is 30" and it is great. If it were 36", it would be better. If it were 48", it was be da shite.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acasden wrote:

I think I will raise up the cabinet 6 inches or so

Wait a second, I am talking about adding width (front to back measurement) and you are now raising the cabinet up. I'm not sure if we're on the same page.

As for tank depth, I wouldn't want a tank much deeper than 24 or 25 inches deep. They're just to hard to work in any deeper than that, unless you have really long arms. And lighting becomes more of an issue.

My 300G is 25" deep, and I still get fairly good coral growth on even on the bottom, using 400W MH lighting.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. That is exactly what I did. The bottom of my tank is 44" high. I like that height a lot.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wider is better. My tank is 26 wide and tall. I think the stand is 40". Makes for nice viewing.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a 220RR used. I REALLY want some more width!

Or I might buy a plywood/glass box that is 450, but my wife is not too keen on it and I would have to completely tear down the fish room and re-architect it to fit the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: