• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Dtown

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
This has probably been asked a hundred times, so please send links if the is a repeat.

I am new to reef tanks and have just been reading books/forums/etc... for the past month. I am now thoroughly confused on how t osetup a tank. I want to setup a reef tank in the 55-90 gallon range. I want to keep it to $1,000 +/- $150. I have read that a good skimmer is key and good lighting is key. Some use sumps, others do not. I currently have nothing at all for this tank. The $1,000 does not include live rock, fish(if any), etc... Can any of you experienced reef keepers lay out what a good system in this price range looks like. Even links to specific products would be awesome. I know this is asking a lot, but I am having a really hard time cutting through the clutter and different technologies. THANK YOU!

Also..I am handy and could build a stand and hood with a good set of plans.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on this site once put a reef tank in terms of dollars per gallon to get set up. I believe his estimate was from $30-$50 a gallon. So, If you built a decent 55 gallon tank based on the $30 range you would end up spending near $1650. I have a bare bones 30 gallon that cost about $750. It is only capable of having low light corals. If you shop around and buy used lighting, skimmer, etc you can make you budget with a tank in the size range you desire.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!,

most of us can point you toward the good spots to get lights, skimmers, pumps, and such. You have to find the deal on the tank. most likely you will find a local fish shop with a tank you like. I buy the biggest tank i could afford in the budget i want to spend.

I would start with determining if i want a tank with an overflow or not? I would say "yes"... then i would decide if i want acrylic or glass... this is where you can save some duckets. some acrylic tanks are less than the equal size glass tank.

figure out where you want to spend the money,

http://www.glasscages.com/ - has both glass and acrylic tanks. good place to start.

for hardware....

lights -

most bang for the buck, double end halide two 250w with vho actinics... you will not be sorry.

www.marinedepot.com - www.hellolights.com -

skimmers

www.premiumaquatics.com, www.marinedepot.com, and numerous others.

i am a needlewheel fan. so if you plan on a 65g system then plan on a skimmer rated for twice the volume (at least)

this is just a start. i revise and change my mind so many times i have to re-write it all many times.... i hope i provided some guidance.

You are not just building a fishtank system to put some fish and corals in. you are designing a custom ECOSYSTEM that you want your inhabitants to thrive in! :)

Dtown

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the guidance on the stores. In looking at glass cages I am going to start with a 65 Wide Acrylic tank and build my pieces based on that. Any suggested brands on the Skimmer? Also...would double end halide two 250w with vho actinics be too much light for this tank or is there no such thing? Thanks!

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly caution AGAINST an acrylic tank from www.glasscages.com and strongly ENCOURAGE buying a glass tank from them (which I currently have). I've seen more than a few posts about ppl being disatisfied with their acrylic work... besides that it scratches REALLY easily.

Skimmer:
I just upgraded my skimmer to an Octopus recirc needlewheel skimmer. You can get these at www.premiumaquatics.com. I've had mine for about a week or so and it's starting to produce some nice skimmate. They are well made, and fairly simple to setup as either an in sump or external sump (Mine is external).

Lighting:
IMO around 600w of lighting is going to be a LOT of lighting... I'm not sure that it would be too much, but it may simply be an overkill. I have a 65g CUBE from www.glasscages.com and am running a Hamilton Reefstar 400w DE 14k Pendant over it. ITS PLENTY of light for my cube. That being said the cube is only 24X24X24, so there isn't a lot of horizontal space that it has to cover.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: