• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we had a power outage over the weekend and my return plumbing siphoned out a bunch of water, my sump overflowed into my cabinet a little. i am going to drill a hole in the return plumbing to act as a siphon break. any advice where to drill and how big a hole to drill?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a hole above the water line when pump fails, but below the water during normal operation. Size depends, you just need to try it out with something like 1/8 inch and test it. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon breaks are a good idea if you clean them very frequently and well and frequently.

They clog easily IME.

Remember - If it can fail it WILL.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes UNDER the water level not over it, otherwise you'll make a venturi and have bubbles pulled in.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the plumbing? For 3/4" a 3/16" hole will work just fine. For 1" piping a larger hole might be necessary. Guess and check.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled the male threaded locline adapter. 1/8" or so. anything small is good. it's not rocket science.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in two holes. It is a good idea to test it. As long as the water is pushing out you should be ok even if it is above water-line, but the best is to have it at or slightly below.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subcomandante Marcos":ibghl0mr said:
I put in two holes. It is a good idea to test it. As long as the water is pushing out you should be ok even if it is above water-line, but the best is to have it at or slightly below.

Very much agreed. All you need is a snail or something blocking the siphon during that crucial 5 minutes or so and you've got a major flood on your hands

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/16" shoud do you fine. I have mine about level with the bottom of the teeth in the overflow.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_Wandell":4b8upeid said:
Subcomandante Marcos":4b8upeid said:

Very much agreed. All you need is a snail or something blocking the siphon during that crucial 5 minutes or so and you've got a major flood on your hands

I think it was your suggestion (I didn't think of it).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: