• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I'm going to get the algae free hammerhead or tiger shark. The hammerhead is rated from up to 1/2" glass. My tank is 1/2" glass sides. Should I get the larger one (tiger shark) or stick with the hammerhead? My last cleaner magnet was a mag float. It was supposed to be good for 1/2" glass but I found it never really held on tight enough to do a good job on coraline.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get it when it first forms with enough pressure you can get it. The promlem is when you let it go.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your general opinions on these?

Are they better than your average magnet cleaner?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I here the algae free are much better than the mag floats and the like. I have never used one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an Algae Free magnet, the Piranha model I think. I don't think I could take off coralline with it without attaching one of those angled scrapers to it that they sell now.

It's definitely a more powerful magnet then the mag-float, but honestly it might be overkill.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A slightly weaker magnet works better for me, just because I have found these super strong ones seem much more prone to scratch if you get the slightest dusty grain of sand in them. My mag float doesn't have the intense pressure on the glass some other magnets do and I have found less scratches than when I had a stronger magnet.

I used the Hammerhead when I had a 155g bowfront, I have no idea what the glass thickness was, but it did not remove corraline save for the tiny little dots when it first shows up. I hope you get a hammerhead version that floats (I think they all do now?) a non floating magnet cleaner is not worth the touble.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not going to consider a non-floating. Had a non-floater before, long time ago, it was a big pain. I agree that they are not worth much. I think I will get the hammer head. It will same me a few bucks.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Hammerhead. Works great on my 1/2" glass. Sometimes I wonder if the Tiger Shark would give my shoulders better definition :lol:

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag-float (1/2" glass) and I'm happy with it. I've never been able to remove coralline with it, though. It just seems like if I don't slack on the magnet cleanings, coralline takes a lot longer to grow on the glass.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you didn't decide on the tiger shark...

I recently purchased a Algae-Free Tiger Shark Magnet to clean my 220g tank. The magnet is so strong that in about two weeks the felt on the outside portion of the magnet has started to peel back. This results in wood rubbing on the glass which makes me nervous about scratching the glass.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tigershark in the mail now.

I'm just hoping my acrylic doesn't become scratched toast!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: