• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Given a choice.. which would you rather have?

• a 70 gallon aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a 60 gallon aquarium

• they're like potato chips.. get both!

• neither one.. hold out for the more expensive 118 or larger...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anubis1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to get a used tank...
a choice between a 70 gallon and a 60 gallon... for saltwater fish.. which would YOU prefer?.. and a reason why if you feel like including it...

btw.. thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the largest tank that you have space for, that you can afford.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the larger the tank the easier it is to maintain water parameters. It's harder to maintain financially though. You will spend a bit more on hardware alone.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a larger tank you will have more room to put under the stand.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dims on those. They do not look like standard sizes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":vfelgh0d said:
Bigger is always better with fish tanks.

I couldn't disagree more. Sure, bigger gives you more stable water parameters, but that's a double edged sword. If you let things get out of whack in a large tank it will take more effort to get them back to where they should be then it would in a small tank. Massively screw up your water quality in a 20 gallon tank to the point where you want to do a 50% water change? Not a major hassle at all. Do the same in a 120 gallon tank, and that 50% water change becomes a real headache.

Big costs more initially, big costs more to maintain, and what are small chores on small tanks can become much larger ones on larger tanks. The best advice I can give is not to bite off more then you can chew.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wazzel":3v7ntig7 said:
What are the dims on those. They do not look like standard sizes.

It would depend on the dimensions for me as well.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":3n3fbk8e said:
trido":3n3fbk8e said:
Bigger is always better with fish tanks.

I couldn't disagree more. Sure, bigger gives you more stable water parameters, but that's a double edged sword. If you let things get out of whack in a large tank it will take more effort to get them back to where they should be then it would in a small tank. Massively screw up your water quality in a 20 gallon tank to the point where you want to do a 50% water change? Not a major hassle at all. Do the same in a 120 gallon tank, and that 50% water change becomes a real headache.

Big costs more initially, big costs more to maintain, and what are small chores on small tanks can become much larger ones on larger tanks. The best advice I can give is not to bite off more then you can chew.

O.K. You make some very valid points. The last one especially. IMO, the bigger, the easier to maintain. Parameters dont swing as quickly. Tank maintainance does take longer with bigger tanks. A siphon only works so fast for one example of bigger equals slower. But, the trade off for more diversity is worth it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I agree with you, Trido. I've just seen a lot of newcomers to the hobby steered to tanks that eventually kind of overwhelmed them, so I try to provide a counterpoint to the "bigger is better" line :D

Anubis1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dimensions:
the 60: 48 3/4 x 12 7/8 x 23 7/8
the 70 (which I think is actually a 75?) 48 7/8 x 19 x 21 5/8

I don't have them for the 118.. I asked the guy who has it if it was a 120.. he swears it's a 118 but hasn't gotten back with dimensions

My biggest concern is reaching the bottom of the tank .. I used to have a 60 and had to stand on a step stool to reach the bottom. and even then I would get my shoulder wet if I wasn't careful!

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't get the 60. I have 55s that are basically the same dimensions for FW and I wouldn't want to do a reef in them.

I have a 75 and while I'm happy with, I would get (and am looking) for a tank a bit bigger - either a 120G or a 150G.

So my choice was hold out for a bigger tank.

But how much are they wanting for these tanks, though? Are they drilled? First of, I also wouldn't want a reef that wasn't drilled. Second, if they're not drilled, and cheap, then you could pick one of them up for a sump or big refugium. :wink:

Anubis1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope.. they aren't drilled..

the 60 is $50... tank only

the 70 is $120. comes with the stand, hood, lights (regular tubes.. it was a freshwater set up), under gravel filter (which I do not want or need..)

the 118 is $550. comes with the same as the 70. stand, hood lights and under gravel filter (was also a freshwater set up).

Anubis1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old Man Of The Sea":3b4e7f82 said:
Best to leave out the under gravel filter for they are more a pain then what their worth in the long run of the tank.
yeah.. I hated them when i had the 60 gallon.. so there is NO way I would ever use one on a saltwater!
They do come with the tank though.. so I may advertise them for someone who does freshwater... cause I know there are some people who like them.. just I'm not one of them!

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, whichever route you go, I'd get the tanks drilled.

I would only use the 60 for a large fuge. It's cheap. It's too tall for a sump, IMO.

The 70 could be a cool tank. It's what (or close to what) I have. Do you like the stand and hood? Your lights are either out or use them for NO actinics. P.S. Those dimmensions are either of or you're looking at a "86 gallon" tank.

The "118" is a bit steep, IMO. You don't need the lights (unless you want to use if for NO actinics) or the filter. So, it's really that much for the tank and stand/hood. But that would be my choice overall.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anubis":3sudv458 said:
nope.. they aren't drilled..

the 118 is $550. comes with the same as the 70. stand, hood lights and under gravel filter (was also a freshwater set up).

I just sold a 90G FW with all of those fixins and a brand new gorgeous stand for less than $300.
You can get a 120G reef ready tank for under $500. No stand of course. I wouldnt take that deal at all. I would however, take that 60G and use it for a sump on a future larger tank if that is the way you are leaning.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":36tu66rb said:
Well, whichever route you go, I'd get the tanks drilled.

Assuming she is certain it's not tempered glass! 8O

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: