• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Where I'm going w/ this is that RO membranes cost $90 (SpectraPure). I'm wondering if it makes more sense for me to just stop using RO and recharge my DI resins myself and it be more cost effective.

I've always heard that doing the recharge yourself is such a pain in the neck that, cost savings aside, it's not really worth doing. Then again, with your background (and could you possibly do it at work? Assuming you're in the same place you were several years ago) it might be easy-peasy.

It's really hard to predict just how many gallons a DI cartridge is good for. Know what the TDS reading on your tap water is?

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid":181sq9t5 said:
Where I'm going w/ this is that RO membranes cost $90 (SpectraPure). I'm wondering if it makes more sense for me to just stop using RO and recharge my DI resins myself and it be more cost effective. Red Devil lye and muratic acid are relatively inexpensive. I have 2-3 exhausted DI cartridges and the chemicals required to recharge the resins myself (helps being a chemist). :P

FYI my currenet setup is a 5 stage SpectraPure 90 GPD RO/DI: 20 um carbon prefilter ($5 for 2 pack -- added myself to the original 4 stage SP RO/DI), 0.5 um sediment filter, 0.5 um carbon block filter, 90 GPD RO membrane, color change DI resin cartridge. I could add a second DI cartridge to the unit and stop using the RO membrane. I'm wondering how much water I could make with this setup before I'd have to recharge my resins.

Shane
How much water do use up a month for your tanks?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: