• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reefkeeper8

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 55 gal and I'm having a PH problem. I can keep my PH up it stays around 7.7. I have used a buffer to raise it and a few days later it is back to 7.7.

The tank has 40 lb's of crush coral and 40 lb's of rock right now.
Can some one tell me how to get the PH to stay were it should be. :?:

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More oxygen. Do you have a skimmer? Is the tank in a small room? Believe it or not, alot of new houses can actually be too airtight to allow proper ventilation for even you to get the O2 that you need to thrive. Trust me I'm a General Contractor.

It could be a number of other variables but this my first Saturday night impression. The rum is kicking in after decorating the tree. :D

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, confirm that the pH reading you're getting is accurate (ie. second test kit, have your LFS or a fellow reefer test it, etc.). You really shouldn't be adding buffer to raise pH. You should add buffer to raise/maintain alkalinity. Proper alk levels contribute to stable pH levels, but you shouldn't add buffer to raise pH.

Try aerating a sample of your tank water. If the pH of the sample goes up your problem is poor gas exchange. The solution would then be to increase gas exchange. Good circulation, good surface agitation, using a protein skimmer and having a well ventilated hood/top will all help with ensuring good gas exchange.

If the problem turns out to be elevated CO2 levels in your home then venting your skimmer air intake to the outside of the house (if you're using a skimmer) or dosing with kalkwasser (which consumes CO2 in the water thereby raising pH levels) would be some possible solutions.

HTH

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TY ChrisRD for clarifying the details of PH problems and solutions. they just weren't coming to me. (For stated reasons :oops: )

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: