• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

clownfool

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is my water milky looking

I set up my Aquapod 24g with 150w MH two days ago.
I just used tap water not rodi for the tank.
It looked good until this morning it was all milky looking.
What would make it look like this?

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a new tank starting a cycle, are you using a substrate? 4 damsels is a LOT to cycle a 24 gallon tank, IMO 3 days is way too soon to add any fish, and since you have a halide I assume your going to go reef, you would have been much better off skipping the damsels and cycling with live rock only, 1) it tends to be quicker and easier,2) no stress on the fish,as there arent any, 3) I'm assuming this is your first tank based on your post, 4 damsels will be pretty close to your max fish load in a 24 gallon, and they will get fairly big if all goes well, and chances are you will wind up wanting to get rid of them when you really get the reef going

your going through the cycle, give it time, eventually the water will clear, and dont add anything else to the tank except for CURED liverock, if you add any uncured, your basically going to reset your cycle

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of substrate did you use?? Crushed coral will turn the water very milky if not rinsed. Have you added any livestock yet? Dave

clownfool

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iseeweed":3k1cys1f said:
What kind of substrate did you use?? Crushed coral will turn the water very milky if not rinsed. Have you added any livestock yet? Dave

I am going barebottom, so there is no substrate.
4 damels to cycle the 24g AP
once the damsels cycle the tank I will take out the damsels and give them away. The damsels are smallest I've seen. Looks like they were just born.
I will add live rock in about 3month (I have no money right now) I will also add a hang-on cpr aquafuge refugium with skimmer.

Then It will be going to a SPS tank
I've been keeping saltwater tanks for over 10yrs
I had a nano SPS about 1 1/2 years ago but had to shut it down because of lack of funds.

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered bottled distilled water? My sytem is also small(45g) and this is my first attempt. I started my tank about 8 months ago and have had great succ. including sps. I am a total rookie , but I am convinced that pure water is the secret to success. I am also on a budget, but the water cost me 99c a gallon at wall-mart.

CG1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iseeweed":1late7oc said:
Have you considered bottled distilled water? My sytem is also small(45g) and this is my first attempt. I started my tank about 8 months ago and have had great succ. including sps. I am a total rookie , but I am convinced that pure water is the secret to success. I am also on a budget, but the water cost me 99c a gallon at wall-mart.

I like this post -- I wanted to see it again -- "pure water is the secret"

Your milky water is to be expected as the tank is filling with ammonia – I agree, that you are cycling with a lot of fish. Let’s see if they make it through the cycling process. just wait it out and let it cycle

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no substrate and no rock, so the only biological media for your bacteria to adhere to is your filter sponge, of which will require frequent cleaning/changing, your best move would be to shut the tank down, and wait till you can afford some live rock, or at least some base rock so you have something in the tank the bacteria can colonize, and do a lot more research, the cycle is a very harsh event, which is why I personally dont do it with fish period, hope your "newborns" can pull through it

CG1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iceman - I didn't want to me too harsh myself, but I agree with what you wrote here. But I thought that the bacteria can adhear to the walls? I know people that have cycled with nothing in the tank and it worked.

Anywho -- no fish when I cycled my tanks either.

IceMan0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will, and the filter,heater, etc, anything in the tank really, there is just an extremely limited amount of surface area for it to grow, thereby greatly reducing the load the system can handle, its kinda like trying to pull a fully loaded trailer with a geo metro, it simply just cant handle the task

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: