• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Well,

I have never been happy with the flow in my tank. The return pump is a Velocity T2. Although the drawing does not show it (because it was quick and dirty) the return line has 8 90 degree elbows (to run through a UV sterilizer).

This was a used system when purchased, and all line in 1" PVC.

I do not feel like re plumbing to get more out of the return pump.

What I was thinking of doing was:

a) Buying a loc-line Y and splitting the output to increase flow to some areas.

b) Buying a second pump (submersible) and dropping it into the sump and just running it up the back of the tank to a new return with 1' tubing.
(see red lines).

What would you pick, and if you choose b) what pump would you recommend?

Thanks.

10.12.2006_195.jpg

Attachments

• bad flow.JPG
    bad flow.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 2,057
A

Anonymous

What size tank is that. Quick and easy would be to add a power head (MJ, Seio, stream) depending on the size of your tank.

A

Anonymous

If it were me, I'd just add a propeller pump like the vortech, or if you want to go cheaper you can mod a maxijet pump like those at mjmods.com

Adding a couple thousand gph of non-laminar flow is hard to beat :D

A

Anonymous

it is a 90G.

I do not like the look of PH or any cords in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding another pump to the sump may be a problem. The overflow probably could not handle it.

If you added a Vortech, you would not see any cords and it is minimally intrusive.

Very nice tank, by the way.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a closed-loop without drilling the tank. And if you make it out of black PVC its not really noticeable (especially once it gets covered with coralline).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not interested in a PH I would do what Pitpat suggested with and over the back closed loop. I had on on my 110 and it worked well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the vortech is pretty minimal. I find the return from my sump more of an eyesore then I do the vortech.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you call an eye sore. An over the back closed loop would have one pipe for suction and one return as a min. Some see pipes as less of an eye sore than any type of power head.

With a nice tank like that I thin the corals will detrack from any additional gear in the tank which ever way you go.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PitPat":203ip00i said:
You can add a closed-loop without drilling the tank. And if you make it out of black PVC its not really noticeable (especially once it gets covered with coralline).

I was thinking of doing this, but is it better than just dropping another pump in the sump?

Are there any heat issues?

How much is a Vortex - just so I do not have to look it up?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
browncj7":3btuai2o said:
PitPat":3btuai2o said:

I was thinking of doing this, but is it better than just dropping another pump in the sump?

Are there any heat issues?

I think its better than just dropping a pump in the sump because you can get more dispersed flow, meaning that you can separate your input from your output. Plus I think in your situtation in might be quieter because having a lot of turnover through your overflow can get loud.

Here is a pic of my old 120 that had two over-the-back closed loops. You can see the intake for them in the center of the picture. (Sorry the pic is kinda wide, I can't resize pics at work)

full_tank_12.30.05_158.jpg

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest way that might work best to your liking is doing the Y at the return with an eductor going left to right and a penductor going front to back. I don't know if the Velocity pump (560gph) is strong enough to get the full benefit (especially when split), but I would at least expect it to double the flow rate.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 gen-x mak 4s, each rated at about 1100 gph. I used those pumps because I have had them for years... they seem to be indestructible. But they aren't the quitest pumps (but they aren't particularly loud either, but there are better choices if you were to buy a new one).

I think an external closed-loop pump would put less heat into your system than an additional submerged pump in your sump... just IMO.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine from the old 110. I used a mag 18. The 4 returns along the back are the cloed loop. I ran it through 2 SCWD's (I would not reccomend doing that) No significant heat issues from the CL.

7898_1073308519.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I worry about the velocity of the water entering the closed loop?

It will be screened, but could it be a danger for anything?

Mag pumps still the way to go?
Don't they have issuses with leaky housing?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: