• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I'll be wanting to place a 75 to 90 gallon aquarium parallel to some floor joists, and those same joists will be supporting a heavy television set on the other side of the room, so I'll want to add some support for some extra peace-of-mind. Underneath the floor there is a concrete-floored basement.

I think I recall having seen some sort of floor jacks, which are metal tubes with feet & a screw-based extention on top to wind the top up to whatever it's supporting. Where can I get one of these, and how expensive are they?

A

Anonymous

I just tried to do that to no avail with lumber. In fact it collapsed my reef structure in the process of hammer from below. I am very much interested in these jacks you speak of.

A

Anonymous

Can get them at home depot. Called floor jacks and probably run around $35 each.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChrisRD":1e0d89x1 said:
How long of a span are you talking about?
Where will the tank sit along the joist span?
Is your home fairly modern construction?

Tank will probably have a 4' by 2' footprint, and will sit over 2-3 joists. Those same joists will support a heavy Sony Wega TV on the other side of the room. Very preliminary thinking right now, and a column support is probably overkill, but I'd prefer overkill over worry.

Home was built in '89.

CG1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting - unless this is a very old home or just poorly constructed I wouldn't think there is need for extra support.

Your looking at maybe 900 pounds in a tank? (blind guess) spread on a 4x2 foot print is 72 pounds per square foot. that’s equivalent to a 13 year old standing in your living room. Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it –

But looks like you found a couple of jacks for $60 each plus delivery. If its going to give you peace of mind how can you go wrong ?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChrisRD":15wshrbs said:
How long is the span? Where will the tank sit in relation to the wall?

Don't have that info yet. Like I said, I'm in the very preliminary planning stage. I don't even have a tank yet, and am not sure of what the eventual dimensions will be.

Another consideration: the room is a sunken (by about a foot) living room, and when people step "down" into the room they will land on those very same two joists that will be supporting the tank & big heavy TV.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CG1":3h238rpb said:
Your looking at maybe 900 pounds in a tank? (blind guess) spread on a 4x2 foot print is 72 pounds per square foot. that’s equivalent to a 13 year old standing in your living room. Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it –

It's not the concentration of weight that's the issue, it's the total weight..

CG1":3h238rpb said:
But looks like you found a couple of jacks for $60 each plus delivery. If its going to give you peace of mind how can you go wrong ?

That's what I'm thinking.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without specific info it's tough to make any definitive suggestions, but considering the age of the home, you probably have 2 X 10 floor joists.

In general, for the spans we're talking about in most homes, with the tank running parallel to the joists like that, I agree that you should provide extra support.

OTOH, if you were perpendicular to the joists and the tank was up against a bearing wall you'd likely be OK without the extra support.

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way I can type a coherent thought with HER looking at me - add wood....make strong..er.....must go....too frightening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mgranato":10tvsvu0 said:
There's no way I can type a coherent thought with HER looking at me - add wood....make strong..er.....must go....too frightening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right - bow before your new liberal master! Mwahahaha! :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is running parralell to the the supports and the floor bounces with teh tank when even my 90 pound dog walks by. So I am going to reinforce it with the stand I think.

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nancy, you said you have a basement underneath? What's the situation down there, finished, unfinished, floor joists exposed, drop ceiling, etc?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mgranato":jwkgbtp0 said:
Nancy, you said you have a basement underneath? What's the situation down there, finished, unfinished, floor joists exposed, drop ceiling, etc?

Unfinished, exposed floor joists.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cut a piece of 4x4 and lag bolt it to the cross braces. Put the floor jack under that. Nail the jack into place to the 4x4.

Done in half an hour.

Check home depot, lowes, ace hardware stores. No need to ship a floor jack.

very long linky

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: