• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Madame Speaker, I just have a couple more questions. Will the tank be directly above (or near to) a wall in the basement, or will it be out in the open as it relates to the basement? Are you planning on running the plumbing to the basement?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the distance from basement floor to ceiling joist?

If it is 8' or so I would nail two 2x4's together and cut them to snugly fit between the floor and joist - knock it into place with a hammer. Add as many as it takes to make you comfortable.

Cheaper and easier than anything else.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mgranato":3czax0a0 said:
Madame Speaker, I just have a couple more questions. Will the tank be directly above (or near to) a wall in the basement, or will it be out in the open as it relates to the basement?

Near to a concrete supporting wall, but on the narrow side of the tank.

mgranato":3czax0a0 said:
Are you planning on running the plumbing to the basement?

Negative. In fact, it will be a sumpless freshwater planted tank! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andy_":69746m7p said:
What is the distance from basement floor to ceiling joist?

About 6' - 7'.

Andy_":69746m7p said:
f it is 8' or so I would nail two 2x4's together and cut them to snugly fit between the floor and joist - knock it into place with a hammer. Add as many as it takes to make you comfortable.

Cheaper and easier than anything else.

Hmm I'll give that a think-over. Or perhaps a compromise by finding some sort of short & more available screw-type brace, then placing that beneath the 2x4 beam you describe & tightening it up that way...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, you have plenty of money to spend on screws and such, I would just buy a few 2x's and use them. :wink:

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, just like a lib, get on a reef site to ask about a planted fresh. :wink: Adding a screw jack would be a temporary fix. You're best (which happens to be the cheapest) bet would be to 2x4 frame a wall underneath it. Ideally one wall under each side of the tank. Put a sheet of sheathing (drywall, plywood, etc.) on the framed walls and you'll be covered against all possible forces exerting on the floor. Now, I've never actually known a red stater to be able to do manual labor, so you may have to farm this one out - or "outsource" it as your type likes to say. :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: