• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a yellow tang (3") and a blonde Naso (5"), and I'm thinking about adding a Kole. Anyone have experiences adding this tang on top of established tangs?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the Kole is the smallest and least aggressive species of the group, it's not an ideal stocking order but I think you'll be OK.

My guess is that things will be fine after the initial hostilities but it's tough to predict the outcome since marine fish have such individual personalities. I would do the usual "adding a new fish" tactics to try to minimize any confrontations.

[edit for spelling]

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, that's basically what I was thinking too. I was just wondering if someone had 1st hand experience adding a Kole late in the line up. I guess I could keep the Yellow in the refugium for a few days to let the Kole settle in (after QT).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a kole in a tank with an established yellow. The kole was of equal size (maybe even a bit larger). The yellow went berserk. While there was no damage done, the chasing, tail fanning and charging were pretty much relentless for three days. It did subside but I'm sure the stress level for everyone was through the roof. The tank as considerably smaller than yours too.

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the final outcome? Are you glad you added the Kole?

I put my Naso in awhile after the yellow too, the yellow spazzed and flashed, but the Naso didn't pay it too much mind - it had about 2" on him though.

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mgranato":3g7cy4lk said:
I currently have a yellow tang (3") and a blonde Naso (5"), and I'm thinking about adding a Kole. Anyone have experiences adding this tang on top of established tangs?

I think you are going to have a problem. If you must ad a smaller tang after a tang like a yellow is established ad it at night, or better yet put it in a hanging plastic container so that the yellow gets used to it before releasing it in the tank. What sometimes works is to put a mirror in the tank where the yellow can see it; it may distract the yellow as it tries to drive away its reflection. Bottom line and from someone who keeps a half dozen tangs in the same reef tank is don't do the way you intend.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mgranato":2q5ssgm1 said:
What was the final outcome? Are you glad you added the Kole?

They lived in a state of detente' for a few months. I ultimately got rid of the kole as it began acting strangely; swimming frantically about the tank with it's caudal spine extended all the time. I was afraid it would catch the spine on a rock or injure one of the other fish. I returned it to the lfs and it settled down after a day. It was a pretty fish and I've thought of adding another to my 120 at some point.

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF Founder":3rt64xrb said:
mgranato":3rt64xrb said:

I think you are going to have a problem. If you must ad a smaller tang after a tang like a yellow is established ad it at night, or better yet put it in a hanging plastic container so that the yellow gets used to it before releasing it in the tank. What sometimes works is to put a mirror in the tank where the yellow can see it; it may distract the yellow as it tries to drive away its reflection. Bottom line and from someone who keeps a half dozen tangs in the same reef tank is don't do the way you intend.

Would a Kole larger than the yellow make a difference? And just so I'm clear, you're saying DON'T remove the yellow while the Kole settles in?

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the Yellow that would certainly help. I had a Kole for many years; they are among the most unaggressive of tangs.

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was thinking of just putting him in the refugium for a few days while the kole adjusts. I also might consider adding a blue regal at the same time - any thoughts on that?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning on adding the Regal, that's probably the best plan (ie. add it while the Yellow is in the fuge, and at the same time as the Kole).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: