• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kevindub

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very newb question. If I want to raise the salinity, is it safe to add small amounts of salt mix directly to the tank in high flow?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOOOOOOOO!

Mix salt, check salinity, wait 24 hrs for PH to straighten out, then add to tank.

OR, mix salt and make sure it's COMPLETELY dissolved first. **since it's just a small amount.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added small amounts to the sump, away from the return.

After the skimmer and return pumps have their respective ways with it, its disolved.

Do not add it directly to the tank.

cyro

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did it before in sump with 1/2 glass.. all my conchs are dead immediately! salt burns..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8O I third or fourth the Nooooo! if you need to raise the SG, you can simply not as add much freshwater (for evaporation makeup) and do it slowly.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend an extra few bucks and get a bucket from homedepot and mix an addition there, just take a little bit of water from the tank mix it up, then add slowly back in.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add it directly to the tank. Do not add it to the sump if you have a small system.

Some people with large systems can get away with it, but its really not advisable. I sometimes add some to my overflow where most of the salt sinks to the bottom of the chamber where it slowly mixes with water from the tank and leaving the overflow chamber. The saltyer water stays at the bottom because it is more dense (and makes a neat heliocline). BUT the only reason I actually do it at all is because my sump is not only 14 feet away from the overflow (giving 14 feet of mixing time, but my sump is really three chambers in two separate tanks. The first chamber is where the skimmer is and almost all the overflow water goes through the skimmer. The second chamber is an skimmer effluent chamber/'fuge, the third chamber, actually a 180 gallon tank is last. So the salt has lots and lots of time to dissolve before hitting anything alive. That all said, I still only do it like a cup at a time and at that I rarely do it.

It is much easier and safer to mix up the salt in a separate container with RODI water and then add that slowly to a high flow area of the sump or the overflow.

Undissolved salt will kill things a lot. :D

CG1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with the No's on this one. Take the opportunity to do a water change pump up the mixture that way.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Saltwater (well mixed) of the same salinity as your tank water for make-up water. Evaporation will take care of raising it slowly.

Louey

Patrick Boyle

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi can anyone help me Iam new to the hobby I am at this moment cycling my tank 125 galleon 90Ibs liverock 20Ibs livesand nomalcoral sand 50Ibs I known I should have used more live sand but I never . Anyway the problem is my salinty I have one of these floating salt readers with temp
n03 o
no2 12.5
temp 79
ph 8-9
salinty 1021
the salt level is A little low so I have added salt to my sump .Even after adding 3-4 cup fulls my salt level stay,s the same everything else seam,s to be going ok! I have a little algue but thats nomal can anyone tell me if these salt reader,s are acurate?
thank,s

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: