• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

goodisor

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Could I have some info please on what water is best for my tank.Currently I fetch sea water from a deep clean part of the coast(Mission rocks)I filter it through a stocking and filter floss.I use some of it immediately,but the bulk of it is kept in storage at the back of my garage(no light) for upto six weeks before it is used.I have spoken to some reefers and the opinion so far is that they have had better results with certain corals using natural seawater.

What is best..Natural or Artificial?

To keep the subject confined to the quality of either lets not consider cost or availability.Lets say you have the choice of having either dropped off at your door step free of charge whenever you need it.

I wander if it would be possible to get a census on the subject,maybe in response to this topic just reply with the word Natural or Artificial depending on your preference.

If you would like to explain your choice then send me a PM.

Thanks a stack
Goodisor

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the choice between clean, parasite free natural seawater and artificial seawater, I'd take the natural every time.

One of the biggest things I miss about living on the west coast is the Catalina Water Company and easy access to natural saltwater.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural is best IMO. Just think of the money you'll save on salt mix as well.

The only issue you could have after a few days or more of storage is dieoff(bacteria and plankton). Be sure to either airate the water or syphon out the die off from the bottom prior to use.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was filtered, I would take the NSW. If it wasn't, I would take the ASW.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used natural salt water that's been pushed through a coarse filter and kept recirculated and aerated. It works. So does DI with artificial salt mix.

I can say that I've seen some difficult to keep host anemones (H. sebae and H. mertensii) kept in captivity for longer than most people have been in the hobby in tanks that contained almost exclusively natural salt water. You won't have to worry about trace element levels. In my experience one very real concern with natural salt water was bacterial die off and the resulting effect on organics, pH, and alkalinity. Fortunately these are easily correctable.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: