• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Patrick Boyle

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi can anyone help me I am new to the hobby. I am at this moment cycling my tank 125 gallon 90Ibs liverock 20Ibs live sand nomalcoral sand 50Ibs I know I should have used more live sand but I never. Anyway the problem is my salinty I have one of these floating salt readers with temp
n03 o
no2 12.5
temp 79
ph 8-9
salinty 1021
the salt level is A little low so I have added salt to my sump. Even after adding 3-4 cup fulls my salt level stay's the same everything else seams to be going ok! I have a little algue but that's nomal can anyone tell me if these salt reader's are acurate?
thank's

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swing arm hydrometers are not always that accurate. You can buy another from a different manufacturer and use it as a control, or better yet by a refractometer. They aren't that expensive and are accurate.

As far as adding 3-4 cups of salt to your 125 galon tank-that won't raise the SG noticably. Since there isn't any livestock in the tank I would simply let evaporation raise the SG naturally, and do water changes to bring it up.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. agreed. Definitely invest all 30-40 dollars into a refractometer. Much more accurate and reliable. By the way Welcome to RDO.

:welcome:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: