• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Anubis1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what else to call it...

we just got the tank.. used.. it isn't calcium or mineral deposits.. but there is a film of gunk on the glass.. you can see the marks the suction cups made from the heater when they had it in... it's worse on the back of the tank..

I have tried the blue aquarium scrubby pad.. didn't do anything ...

used vinegar with the scrubby pad... again.. nothing

tried CLR (calcium, lime and rust remover).. still nothing..

then tried a razorblade.. it's STILL on there...

Is there something to use to get this stuff off?... it isn't white.. more algae colored... I'm tempted to use a sledgehammer.. but I don't think it would be good for the glass!

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it's not the glass itself being etched from deposits, which is possible.

Anubis1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. I'll try the baking soda..

and yeah.. brand new razor blades...

please don't mention etched glass! I don't even want to think about that!

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a superfine wet-sandpaper used for automotive paints? 1000grit to start and see what happens. Make sure you use a sanding block and keep the paper wet. I have never tried it on glass, but if its safe on car paint it shoudln't scratch the glass. I have actually polished scratches out of plastic/acrylic with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a razor blade is passing over it and not removing it, I can't imagine what it could be besides etching....unless it's on the other side of the glass you're running it across. ;)

Anubis1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try almost anything at this point! And it is on the inside..there are marks where the suction cups from the heater were... at least the worst of it is on the back.. still looks nasty though

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: