• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHat exactly are the phases of algae growth in new tanks. Im past the random brown diatom bloom and now entering a period of green everywhere. WHats next?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It varies from tank to tank. My 120 experienced virtually no algae bloom. My current 176 gallon went through 6 months of algae of ALL types. I've never seen so much diversity before.

Your progression is very common (diatoms to green). You'll probably experience a few types of green algaes before it's all over. When you start seeing macroalgae take over, it should be close to the end of your algae rollercoaster.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i never really had algea blooms, my tank is 9 months old and I am seeing red algea starting to cover rocks in certain parts, like a blanket and sometimes i see air bubbles under neither of it.

i break it up and filter it out. I am not going through a "bloom" per say , but it is getting annoying

isw there something i am doing wrong? I am only using filtered tap water

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red is a cyano bacteria - it is a symptom of a bit of extra nutrient in the water, but also of low flow areas.

Try to redirect the flow onto the areas where the slime is growing. It may help.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shavo":1164wfjz said:
hi i never really had algea blooms, my tank is 9 months old and I am seeing red algea starting to cover rocks in certain parts, like a blanket and sometimes i see air bubbles under neither of it.

i break it up and filter it out. I am not going through a "bloom" per say , but it is getting annoying

isw there something i am doing wrong? I am only using filtered tap water

What do you mean filtered tap water? The machines in parking lots? "Aqua Pure" and such?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: