• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a first for me. Today, I see the tank's sump level has dropped by about a gallon. I look around to see the probable cause, and sure enough, the overflow drain bulkhead around the area of the washer was leaking pretty badly! I was worried the plastic had somehow cracked or something more severe has happened. But I decided to try the obvious first a tighten down the washer. Sure enough, it was loose by about a quarter to half turn. After tightening, the water has (so far) stopped leaking.

So the question is: Is this common? In all my years, I've never had a bulkhead washer come even slightly loose and begin to leak. It's disconcerting to say the least. Is it something I did wrong?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I've ever had it happen to me. Maybe you just didn't tighten it down enough during the initial install? If that were the case, however, it's a bit weird that it didn't leak until now...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you overtighten it during installation, it will suddenly "give" and spawn a leak like it did.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose that makes sense if overtightening caused it to jump a thread or something...

Did the leak cause any water damage to anything Len?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The leak didnt' cause any damage that I can see (maybe some water behind the stand where I can't access). Fortunately, the water leaked into the sump below it. There was A LOT of salt screep on the piping.

I may have overtightened during installation, but i recall it was too loose when I first tightened it so I had to tighten it down some more to make a proper seal. I've retightened the washer down today and there's no more leaks. I wonder how long I have before another leak.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had that happen.

I think 7 is right. You probably overtightened it.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't cause any damage because there is NO tank....... :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to rule out the simplest explanation...

Anyone, perhaps a younger relative, been over to the house recently? Someone who might have looked at all the fittings and been curious enough to try turning one?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or some member of RDO who are upset about the lack of photo in say tank?... :wink:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:lol: No young'ins around. Besides, the bulkhead is in a pretty hard to reach area.

As of this morning, still no leaks. What a difference a quarter turn on the washer makes.

I'm still not sure why an overtightened washer would spring open or why it took almost a year for it to happen.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the threads just gave way. I've had bulkheads "pop" like that before. Always on the cheaper ones though, never on any schedule 80, just mainly the el cheapo white/black ones.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a removable "loctite" type product to keep the washers in place? Been consider a dab of silicone or even a tiny dab of super glue in a couple spots, but not sure how much good that would do.

Yes, this is the cheaper black thin type.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheap nylon one is famous for that. So lets set up a web cam and see who can "predict" when an overtightened nylon bulkhead nut going to give way, and the winner will have a tour of Len's tank (hopefully you are ready to show your tank when it pops).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3m603dzu said:
Is there a removable "loctite" type product to keep the washers in place? Been consider a dab of silicone or even a tiny dab of super glue in a couple spots, but not sure how much good that would do.

Super Glue :D Works for me :lol: SHoot, I've plugged leaky tanks with it even :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seven ephors":2qgy6dn4 said:
The cheap nylon one is famous for that. So lets set up a web cam and see who can "predict" when an overtightened nylon bulkhead nut going to give way, and the winner will have a tour of Len's tank (hopefully you are ready to show your tank when it pops).

Now that sounds like a plan. I've got the bulkheads, anyone got a web cam we can use, and some hosting space :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":3rzuefuf said:

You can use PVC cement, but that pretty much make the bulkhead not removeable unless you use a hacksaw to it.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want it removable, so I think just a few dabs of superglue in between the threads will hold it in place until i have to take it off which a wrench.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some silicone whenever installing bulkheads. I put a bead around the inside flange and a bead on the outside as well. Probably overkill, but I'm a bit of a redundancy freak. :D

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
happend to me recently in my overflow. Was a bugger to get into and tighten.. got it tight though and haven't had a problem ever since :) Maybe it was the evil glasscages tank! yea thats what it was!!!

B

TheJGMProject

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm a newbie, but teflon tape works wonders for threaded connections. I used teflon for my sprinkler system in the back yard which was pretty much constructed with PVC piping and PVC connections. Go around the threads 3 to 5 times and that should "seal" the deal. For extra sealant measures, I would also put silicone on the backs of the washer and head (so silicone doesn't allow washer to move, and water can't get under the washer). If you ever need to take off the bulkhead in the future you'd be able to slice the silicone peel it off the tank.

I'm planning on putting a bulk head on my 40-gal. Can you get overflow drain bulk heads at local hardware stores? Or do you need to get special ones?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: