• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the fish didnt like the way I had the tank because I got home and like a pound or two of sand has been moved to form a gulley next to some boulders. Strangely the sand is all over ALL of the live rock. Like they had a freaking sand party while I was gone. The culprits are (Damsel, which already has a nest on the other side of the tank, mating clownfish, though this is a lot of sand for them to move, miniatus grouper, which has no reason to nest cause hes all alone, and lawnmower blenny, who has never showed any interest in moving sand of this scale.

Attachments

• Picture 436.jpg
    Picture 436.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,399
  • Picture 437.jpg
    Picture 437.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,401

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck yea, I swear by quohog clams and an oyster or two. Ever since I added them I havent had one nitrite problem even though I feed my tank a lot. I have a grouper in the tank plus I swear by feeding the brain corals and the anemones every other day. Ive had tremendous growth because of this. So the clams keep the tank clean. I also have a 29 gallon tank with 6 clams in it. There is no skimmer on the 29 and the nitrites are at zero. The 29 has multiple crabs and a very happy snowflake eel.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Nice tank, too :D

But maybe the clams moved the sand instead of the fish?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, where's Orange Park...and any chance you have a full tank shot?

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any established and fully functional system should not have any problem with nitrite. Unless you are referring to NO3, Nitrate. Otherwise I am skeptical over the function of oyster and clam in your tank.

Without proper size food, they will die and foul your tank.

BTW, clam CAN blow sand around if it does not like its surrounding, or if it's trying to relocate to other places that it can find more food.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of moron clowns havent stopped moving sand for over three months. They have morphed into engineer clowns.

atnixon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
erm...trido...do you mean "maroon" clowns?
...the moron clowns tickled me....i must have a sad sense of humour these days....

Niko

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing it was the clowns. I was just supprised because it was a lot of sand for two inch clowns in one day. It wasnt the clams because something put the sand on top of them, physically impossible for clams to suck up sand and cover themselfes and also get sand two feet away. The bivalves are fine because of the algae I scrape off the walls is happily consumed.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way my coraline algae is growing tremendously now. However it grows in the weirdest places. I want it to cover the back glass completely but its only in spots, however it gladly grows on my concrete structures and my plumbing fixtures. I also have an outbreak of the weirdest creatures. They are uncountable and only on the right side of the tank. They are feather dusters that form spiral shells that look like .....well a spiral. THey start off microscopic and grow and grow. The biggest one is 3mm across

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
atnixon":1n920o0y said:
erm...trido...do you mean "maroon" clowns?
...the moron clowns tickled me....i must have a sad sense of humour these days....

Niko

Nope, I meant moron clowns. The sand moving has become tiresome. It was supposed to be funny though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsel is also well known as "the interior decorator of the aquarium". Not surpise.

I hope you pay your interior decorator well for his works. ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: