• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

The Chefin' man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a different LFS today. Because my usual had to close due to moving to a all new location and they will be closed for 2 weeks (it really sucks)! I got so used to buying my water from my bud because it was ro/di tropic marin @ $.50 per gallon. I can't beat that making it myself the only thing that I have to do is drive 30 minutes to get it. Usually it is well worth it because there is always hotties in and out of his store. Anyrate, I went to this other place they charge $1.00 per gallon for the crap of instant ocean and I asked what the salinity was and he said that is was about 1.023 to 1.024 well that was a damn lie. I got home and what I did with it was I put it into a holding tank (reserve) to look at it and make sure that is was up to snuff (very retentive about my water). I started to pour it out and I tasted it just out of having to know what it taste like I also noticed that the water was very cloudy like the salt was just added to it. I always do this with my other water also. Well needless to say it was so strong that it was higher than water straight off the beach. I decided to get out the old refractometer and I will be damned it was 1.037 could you imagine what would happen if I would have put this **** in my tank. Oh boy! There would have been a post office job in the heart of Louisville on Sunday at 10:00 on the 11:00 news. All that I can say is that the man has a really nice clam that I am going to have to score up on just for customer satisfaction. It is very beautiful I do believe it is a T. Maxima and a T.derasa and the I think a couple of large Crocea's. They range from 70 to 150 but I think that if I would not have checked the water he had sold to me I would have lost thousands. What do you all think?

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of stinks when you need to locate yourself a new lfs to deal with, but in any case even that the water you bought from this other lfs being as high as it was, it be one thing maybe if you a small tank like nano or so for of this reef tank of yours is a larger tank like 90 or more and that you do like around a 20 gal water change, you see little change to none of your tanks salinity.

But it is something else when you are there to count on some provider to help you with your tanks water changes and they have their salinity that high. Also I always knew that the lfs sold RO water, but never knew they sold it with salt already mix in. But just the same, I rather do that part myself for as well, I would had ask them what the salinity was in their RO water.

For as well, im surprised somewhat that it wasn't at 1.019 for most lfs have their stocking tanks at such a salinity level due too the stress from the fish they get from being shipped.

OOPS! Sorry, I see where you said they told you the salinity was 1.023 to 24 and they had it as high as 1.037, that is totally crazy. I always at most times tell specially beginners in the hobby to not listen to anything most lfs tell them that at most, their only concern to make sales.

Buddy

Have A Very Merry Christmas Everyone

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what size tank is this you be making this water change and how many gals would you be doing?

If you can follow the logic in what im trying to say that if your tank is a good size tank, and your doing as little as 20 gals water change, you see no problem other then a small amount of water that is with a high salinity level for once you slowly spore that water into your tank, it will not be as high as 1.037 and if your tank id as large as my own, you see no changes of your tanks salinity whatsoever, least of all you not notice it at all.

It would be of some concern if your tank is a nano or a little larger or so. I do hope that you understand that if your tank is 100 gals, you see little change to none. Don't forget, if you are doing a 20 gal water change into a 100 gal tank or so, the tanks water when this water mix in will lower in its salinity level.

Still I would make my own RO/DI water and mix in my own salt. It was good however that you tested their RO water salinity level before hand to make your own adjustments.

The Chefin' man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! I know what you are saying. But my tank is only a 90 with a 30 gal sump (I would say 17 gal max extra water for the sump). So I am talking about 107 gallons (340.2 L). My Sg was already at 1.025. Mixing 20 (75.6L) gallons with approx 104gal(393.1L). I am on to much cough medicine to figure out the actual levelof what the mixed water would be. But if you like the actual level on the ro/di was is 1.037. I have cut 15 gal into of salt ro/di and some of my ro/di (fresh) to 1.026 and it took 6 gallons of fresh to knock it down to that.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: