• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cyro

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much.
how can we convert PSU to our unit, sg. sorry for the question, i mean specific gravity values of the seas?

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what I wonder, I know the salinity here in Northeast Florida is 33. Why on earth are we told to keep our reefs around 25. (Insert decimal where you will.)

acroman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because most of the things in you aquarium come from places with lower salinity. also, the lower salinity is bad for parasites.
I have kept mine at 35ppt (world average) for some time now, and i used to keep it at 45ppt (about what is found in the red sea).
most people I know keep it between 25 and 35 tho.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lower the salinity, the cheaper the saltwater (every penny counts). Just need to take care of the Alk and Ca for the most parts.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackcloudmedia":2u3r481h said:
So this is what I wonder, I know the salinity here in Northeast Florida is 33. Why on earth are we told to keep our reefs around 25. (Insert decimal where you will.)
I've yet to see any hobby literature recommending a salinity of 25 for reef tanks. I think you might be confusing specific gravity and salinity. With SG = 1.025 your salinity is probably somewhere around 33 ppt but it depends on what temp you're running.

IMO there's no compelling reason to keep a reef tank at anything other than average seawater salinity levels (S=35) which is an SG of about 1.0264 at 77 degrees. For someone who's running a Red Sea biotope it might make more sense to run up around S=40.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: