• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally starting to get things on a roll and am making an attempt to understand what it takes to balence Ca, PH and DKH. My current stats are:

Ca - 275-300
Ph - 7.7
DKH - 8

It seems like I could use B Ionic and get my Ca and DKH to the correct level. However, do I also need to use something like Kent marine super buffer (or something similar) for PH? Or does PH go with DKH or inversely so? I should have paid WAYYYYY more attention in chemistry. If this is a good path let me know. I'd like to get this straight before I get corals. Killing rocks is cheaper than corals. :lol:

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of tests are you using? What kind of salt are you using? All of those numbers sound really low to me. Low Ph can usually be cleared up by getting adequate aeration to the tank. Ie. surface agitation and a good skimmer. B- ionic along with regular water changes for Ca. and Alk should take care of the rest.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Salifert test kits for PH, NH4, and NO2. I'm using Elos test kits for Ca, dKH, and NO3. Elos are about $5-7 more per kit, but man are they worth it! Just very easy to read what your levels are.

I'm using Instant Ocean Salt. On Wednesday PH was 8.0 and DKH was 9. My return pump actually agitates the surface area a lot. It creates a really nice glimmer effect with the halide. Skimmer hasn't been on too much. I'm still trying to dial it in - overflow prevention.

mgranato

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto what Trido said. How old is your setup? What are you using for make up water, if other than ro/di, have you tested it?

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always believed that there be many different levels of experiences for if we were too take a look at what each one of us do in tank equipments and stocking and feeding and not to mention maintenance, that we all not receive the same results as the next hobbyists.

It be the same as algae problems and any other number of things which could accure in who tanks. For like that B Ionic liquid, I used that at one time and found that I need to better stabilize my tanks and I used in the reservoir Calcium Hydroxide in mixing it in the RO/DI water. There are things which work and things that might work in time, but nevertheless, we need to maintain the stabilization of our tanks calcium and ALK levels.

B Ionic however is a good item for beginners or folks who are just starting a reef tank, myself these days I not use it anymore and it not mean that B Ionic isn't a good item to use in the stabilization of your tanks Calcium and alk levels.

For even that now when my reef tanks are fully running and that I use calcium reactors, I still dose with Calcium Hydroxide in mixing it in the RO/DI water but not each refill. It all depends on what my calcium reactors do in maintaining my tanks for I not want too over dose.

The salt as well have a place in this for the companies not honestly list all of what they obtain, for like I was using the Oceanic salt and before I bought another 24 (200 gals) buckets, I soon after learn that salt contained nitrates. That in a single water change of 30-32 gals I learn it had a reading of between 50 and 60 PPM, for I not test nitrates on my eel tanks as often for why should I.

But yet I do in a blue moon and all a sudden I had a nitrate reading of around 80 PPM and that it took me some six weeks if I remember correctly to lower it back to untraceable levels, for I changed back to Instant Ocean.

Something as that will be unbelievable as well too many because of their problem with nitrates, but do remember that we all have either near the same levels of knowledge in what we do or some too many have different methods in how they do things. For the main ticket in these twin eel tanks is that I not feed even half the food many others do as well as these tanks are under stocked as well.

If I not said it, the B Ionic is good in starting a reef tank, but if you have a larger tank, you might want to consider in getting a calcium reactor. But still you can manage with B Ionic, only you need to dose with a second item to help maintain your tank.

Buddy ><{{{{">

To All, A Very Merry Christmas And A Healthy New Years

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help. My tank setup is 2 weeks old. I cured 30lbs of live rock in the garage for over 3 weeks until ammonia and nitrites were 0. I use RO/DI water for top off and for the initial filling (which took forever) of the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't even worry about adjusting levels yet. I would let everything stabilize for a couple of months and do your water changes as scheduled.
Keep testing and tracking and see what happens. :D

What levels are you shooting for?
I like this site:
http://reef.diesyst.com/
And it does seem like your ca and alk are way out of balance, but I wouldn't worry about it too much till you start thinking about adding corals.
:D

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen to what Thales had said for you would saved me much typing if you mentioned that your tank is only setup for so short a period for you will be needing to make adjustments on your tanks dosing system as well being that your nothing going on yet in this tank, you need to be concern about overdosing for im guessing your a skimmer in place, this will remove some of your tanks dosing on the B Ionic as well, for as you build up your tanks stock, you will learn that you have to dose more on your tanks B Ionic and as well be sure to get the Calcium Hydroxide.

Only not look to go so crazy with it for you be surprised on how high things could go. You will dissolve a small amount in a bowl that you will use only for this and be sure to pore only the dissolving solution into your reservoir, hopefully that you have one. Also what size is your tank? I not believe that you ever mentioned it.

Also your LR will be OK

A Bug-Hum-Bug to you all :twisted:

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. After responding to a few PM, I realized that I had measured the PH after the lights had been off for about 1 hour. Hence, the low 7.6 PH. I remeasured today around 4:45pm and the PH was 8.0-8.1. I've since ordered some Chaeto macro algae to put in my sump. I'll run a light on it at night to help keep the ph stable at 8.0+ and to help remove nitrates and phosphates.

I'd still like to understand a bit more about Ca, Alk, PH, and Mg and the roles they play chemically together. It seems like people are constantly having problems with this balance. Anyone know a good thread on this? Is this covered in any books people might have? And/Or can someone explain the balance played out in our mini-ecosystems.

Thanks again for your help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: