• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep they're the type of Bristleworm commonly called Fireworms. That particular one is most likely a beneficial detrivore in my opinion.

If you'd like a smaller population of them you will have to stop overfeeding your tank. The Fireworm population is directly related to the amount of available food.

There are several very effective ways to remove them. The problem is that if you remove them then the food they were processing for you will probably just sit & rot and degrade your water quality.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't touch them, you will get a finger full of little spines.

They itch and can burn, and some folks have an allergic reaction to them.

Dottybacks eat them, but I would never want to lower the numbers on purpose by adding a fish to eat them, as they serve a good function in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jpccusa":31u8b8jl said:
How big can they get? What happens if I touch one, does it hurt really bad? Can any of my fish eat them?

Just to add to what Laura said - The worm pictured has Calcium carbonate spines on the top and Silica spines running on the lower part of both sides. If you brush against one with a finger you will get a big load of bristles in your finger, probably from the top rows if you're lucky. Soaking the finger or other affected skin in straight vinegar will dissolve the spines in 3 or 4 minutes and eliminate any itching. If you just leave the spines in they will itch for several days.

jpccusa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this species one of the monsters that I've read about, which could get really big, several inches long? The one in the picture is around 1 inch long when extended.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jpccusa":2kaltd22 said:
Is this species one of the monsters that I've read about, which could get really big, several inches long? The one in the picture is around 1 inch long when extended.

They don't get huge like some others but I have several that are well over a foot long. I breed Clownfish and I keep them in my baby Clownfish grow-out systems because they keep the bottom of the tanks free of leftover food.

There are a few Fireworms that are harmful but they're very uncommon. The one you posted is one of the good guys in my opinion.

Attachments

• polychaete2.jpg
    polychaete2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,369

jpccusa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you a lot! I will not remove them then. I just hope they do not get to big otherwise I will be reluctant of moving stuff inside my display tank, LOL.

Just curiosity, is this one in the picture the same species that I have? They kind of look alike...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jpccusa":32fql6m6 said:
Thank you a lot! I will not remove them then. I just hope they do not get to big otherwise I will be reluctant of moving stuff inside my display tank, LOL.

Just curiosity, is this one in the picture the same species that I have? They kind of look alike...

I really have no idea if it's the same species. I believe they are at least closely related but you would need a real expert to positively ID your worm.

It's best for your health and the well being of your aquarium if you wear gloves when moving stuff around, especially sharp rocks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your second picture I see something that looks like Nudibranch eggs. Do you know what the white spirally thing is?

jpccusa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what that is.
In order to take the picture, I got the worm and put it inside a glass cup. Then I placed the glass against a black background. I believe the white stuff was scratches from the glass or mucus from the worm.

Thanks for the glove tip. I do not have any coral, but I always feel bad to move rocks around because I end up braking little tubeworms forming on the rocks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: