• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Alk?
Your Ca and Alk need to be in balance for coraline growth, it isn't just a product of Ca levels alone.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drink plenty of ALK! shots beers. whatever

anyhow I don't have an alk test kit i do put in the ALK when i do water changes according to the packaging.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very skeptical about that NBC product. Besides, I'm not sure what good it would do to help promote coraline growth. the NBC #9 looks like a bacteria concentrate.

Get your alk and ca in good harmony like pitpat says. Usually, regularly water changes along with bionic does the trick. Kalkwasser works well for me too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you have your tank up? Any issue with nitrate or other problem, such as hair algae? What is the lighting setup?

As long as your corals are doing well, I think it is a blessing without the coralline algae. :)

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is set up for 9/10 months, I have no issues with water parameters at this time, but i do have some, very very little, slime algea growth. what can be used to get rid of it?

lighting is 4X96 watts white/blue actinics

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a rule of thumb shavo, never put anything in your reef tank that you don't understand 100% what it acts on and why. Now the slime you are talking about, do you mean cyanobacteria?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm, what is that???

some of it is red, some of it is green it is on my rocks in patches and it is like a blanked of algea.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture? If not, so a search for it here, there's plenty of pictures already posted and see if that is what you are talking about.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use umm I believe it's SeaChem's Reef Builder or something, it has a glucose (?) based calcium that corals don't use, however coraline will use it.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shavo..do you mean the red slime on those rocks we got from that fish store with the un-kept tank?..if so, yes..the red is slime algae. vaccum it off...when you are vaccuming, just scrape it gently with the end of the vacuum.
don't just scrape it and let it fly through the tank..it will red-ify whatever it ends up landing on.
the green hair..is just that. and it's fine. if you want to borrow my algae blenny, his rate is 25 bucks an hour :lol:
btw...if you don't like that stuff, or just decide that you have too much rock in your tank(hint hint) then let me know and i'll gladly take that un-kept, nasty horrible rock off of your hands!

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ironic part of this is that some day, when you're sick and tired of having to scrape it off your glass every week, you'll be wishing you didn't have coralline... :wink:

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually I have some on my glass and I like it. I just keep the front and sides clean. I like the look of it on my glass. but it is very very little. smaller than a dime and only a few places.

Lawdog, I don't have a pic, where do i research the pics here?

Mr. X, No it is not the red stuff on the rocks from the store with the run down tanks, I have that too now but that isn't the same as what I have , It looks like a spider came and made a little web in places.

thanks all!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: