• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size backup do I need to run 2 mjs and a 300w heater? I know its COMPLICATED to figure it all out.. but what do you guys use? My dad has a BIG generator for long term outtages.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":8j8dandf said:
what size backup do I need to run 2 mjs and a 300w heater? I know its COMPLICATED to figure it all out.. but what do you guys use? My dad has a BIG generator for long term outtages.

B

I think the heater will suck the power the most. In an emergency situation, I'd want to keep just the bare essentials just to keep things going. You're in Alabama, right? It doesn't get too cold there to begin with, right? ...just a thought and MHO. :)

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right on. heater would be secondary. i would think powerheads would be priority... even those actually produce a decent amount of heat.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":1i3bccdh said:
right on. heater would be secondary. i would think powerheads would be priority... even those actually produce a decent amount of heat.

B

Yup. I'd even think about an air pump. If you said you're set for long term, don't worry about the air pump. I think some even stock a battery operated air pump. One of the biggest things that kill a reef tank is lack of O2 in the water.

I'd think about an APC Unit. Maybe like a 1500 or so. I want to eventually do this for my tank. Good thinking! :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery-powered air pumps are great for a short-term circulation solution. They are cheap and can be set up to automatically come on in case of a power disruption.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PitPat":1nl67hrt said:
Battery-powered air pumps are great for a short-term circulation solution. They are cheap and can be set up to automatically come on in case of a power disruption.

See! I knew I wasn't dreaming those up! :lol: Thanks!

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra backup here at the office that is 120VAC 60HZ 450w Max

would that last longer and be more effective than a battery pump would be????

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":3q9bbd1h said:
I have an extra backup here at the office that is 120VAC 60HZ 450w Max

would that last longer and be more effective than a battery pump would be????

B

No idea... and if it's older, chances are the battery won't last as long either, so you can no longer go by the original specs.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not a true inline (read: non modified sign wave) you'll be fine, but if it's a modified sign wave(a normal UPS) it will cause pumps to overheat.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a good DIY battery back up on that other reef web site. Let me find the link.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: