• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jpccusa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my fish only tank, 3 years ago, I bought 2 white and 1 blue T10 fluorescent lights, the type that does not require balast.

The bulbs are fixed on aluminum bars. Besides the bulbs and the metal bars, the only extra things are the electrical cords. That's it!

They were also really inexpensive and easy to install. I remembered paying around 20 bucks each.

Now it's time to change them, so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendation. I am looking for something affordable and efficient.

Just FYI, I have a covered acrylic tank with a wood canopy that opens in the front, leaving me 1ft. by 4ft of canopy to install the lights.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you wanting to keep. With the lighting you currently have you are good for fish and possible mushrooms.

jpccusa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry. I forgot to mention that I have a live rock and fish only. No corals yet...

I also did not include that my blue T10 is no longer working... That's why it's time to change them... The white ones are pretty soon going to stop working also.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you want to keep and what size tank do you have?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you aren't housing corals you can put pretty much whatever you want over the tank. Just leave room for upgrading :)

B

jpccusa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallons tank. It is not high, but wide, I guess around 4 feet. My avatar is the picture of it... I am not sure even if I want to have a reef tank with corals, but I would like to have a nice live rock and fish only tank. I believe that appropiate lighting reveals the true colors of some species of fish, that's why my concern in using the most cost effective one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a fish only tank I would stick with what you have. You may want to try different bulbs to get a color you like.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: