• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Ok so my box within a tank idea to circumvent baffles is about to come to an end as a new skimmer I recently got is bigger than the plastic container that sits in my 55g long sump/refugium.

So this means setting up baffles... which I really really really don't want to do but will be my only real solution. So I'm thinking of setting up 3 main areas, area 1 the dump from the tank/refugium, area 2 skimmer portion, area 3 return. Now the tank is 4 feet long, (hence the "long" aspect). Now I know people will say use glass since it's a glass tank, however there is an issue with the silicone around the tank itself as the glass baffles won't fit perfectly without cutting the old silicone out. So my plan is to use acrylic, since it's easier to snip away. I'm thinking the best idea is to put some sort of "rails" in to guide the baffle those I can make sure are secured then simply slide the baffle in.

Now the question is what would be the best way to go about this? I was thinking acrylic rails that I could superglue to the glass, then simply slide the baffles into place. The reasoning behind want to use acrylic is that I don't think I can keep my sump empty for the amount of time it'll take to properly cure up any silicone that I'll need to use with glass. Any flaws with what I'm planning?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME it's fine to use acrylic for baffles/dividers in a glass sump. I've done it on several setups that have run for years with no issues.

If you want the baffles to be removable I guess the rail thing might be worthwhile. Personally I just cut the acrylic pieces to size and silicone them in place. I usually let the silicone cure overnight before adding water.

HTH

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overnight is fine? Groovy, I thought that stuff needed many days to cure properly.

I didn't need them to be removable, but thought it'd be easier to attach rails than worry about the strength of an acrylic & silicone bond.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if cyanoacrylate bonds to glass-- I'd go with silicon.

das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump has some ~2"x10" glass pieces siliconed about 1/4" apart down both sides of the tank.

Just drop in a baffle where needed. Where I want the baffle to sit off the bottom, cut a 1" tall piece of egg crating. There's a little leakage around the sides and bottom but doesn't effect the water being force over/under.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd put your skimmer before the fuge. if you put the fuge first you'll be skimming out a bunch of the pods.

I just use lots of silicone with acrylic baffles.

Hint. if you're putting baffles close together, do the middle one first.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: