• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was so exited when I bought my mandarin sunday. I have plenty of copepods in my tanks so I eagerly bought a mandarin. Well I was looking in my tank yesterday and he was lying upside down with his lips barely puckering. He was relaxed (not riggamortis) and I tried to pull him back and forth slowly to get his gills working. But it was like his entire nervous system just shut down. Im guessing he was a cyanide catch as nothing is wrong with my tank and I dont exactly have neurosystem attacking creatures in my tank. Im so mad because this is my first casualty ever, save for a flame scallop when I first got into the hobby.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if they use cyanide to catch these slow fish.

Maybe they do, or it is something else. Sorry to hear what happened. :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mandarin for about a year and a half, and one day he just dropped dead with a nice fat belly too. Full on rigor mortis when found, and fat as can be. I have no idea why he died.

In fact, he was temporarily living in my four foot long refugium while I moved the main tank, so I know he didn't starve.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dupaboy1992":3tjlhyzm said:

It happens, yeah. The preferred way to catch them is (and I'm not joking) to use a little harpoon on a string, spear them right through the dorsal fin.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea Im pretty upset becuase one I loved his colors, two Ive never lost a fish before and I have ten, and three I have no indication of what caused it.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once had a new seahorse (only one I ever owned) die just like it. It turned out he died of a massive infection. Only owned him a day. One pod eating machine.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":1az8y7ma said:
dupaboy1992":1az8y7ma said:

It happens, yeah. The preferred way to catch them is (and I'm not joking) to use a little harpoon on a string, spear them right through the dorsal fin.

Link? I'd like to see someone spear fish a manderin.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have just succumbed to the rigors of collection, shipping, and the stress of being yanked out of the ocean (via whatever method). Some fish don't make it despite our best efforts.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( Sorry! Those are one of my fav fish, I adore the coloration.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: