• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

sfsuphysics":32iwh0r7 said:
the next question is how does one tell the difference between a freshwater and saltwater fish..

I have never used a silverside the entire time I have kept marine aquariums. I just don't understand why you would need to when there are cheaper and more nutritious items available.

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as well never use silversides for they add nothing to a fishes diet other then water for others do use it to start their eels off feeding to where as I tell them that they have any number of other foods to pick from.

It is just like many who chop silversides up to feed their anemones, they can do the same thing with any fish for the issue really be is that silversides are so much cheaper to use.

But what one has to think here is what will be the health of their tank inhabitants in the long term when feeding silversides. Of course, this be only a matter of an opinion from ones personal view.

OK, I got few things to do, feed some eels and get more wrapping paper and then I need to get on over to those little monsters.

Buddy

A Merry Christmas Too All HO,HO,HO

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres tons of science backing up what I said. It's widely known and reconized that freshwater fish can not make HUFA's (with a few excpetions) and many other things extremelly important to marine animals. It has to do with the marine food web vs the freshwater food web. You can produce HUFAs is you don't have any precursers in the food web. It's not my opinion, or view, it's a fact :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":3sxv9d0p said:
Theres tons of science backing up what I said. It's widely known and reconized that freshwater fish can not make HUFA's (with a few excpetions) and many other things extremelly important to marine animals. It has to do with the marine food web vs the freshwater food web. You can produce HUFAs is you don't have any precursers in the food web. It's not my opinion, or view, it's a fact :)

Very much agreed! :D Did you read the articles carefully? The first one backs up what you are saying. The second includes this important line:

"Unlike the freshwater feeder goldfish comparison with marine fish, in which the fat content can be more than 20 times higher than the natural diet, freshwater crustaceans are actually slightly lower in both fat and Vitamin C content, as compared to marine crustaceans (Tables 1 & 2). There are other differences, too, but in this case, the deficiencies can be easily compensated for by using a commercially available HUFA supplement, because the freshwater crustaceans tends to be roughly equal, or perhaps a bit lower in saturated fat as well as essential fatty acids than the marine prey that make up the natural diet (Table 2). This major difference makes the use of freshwater crustaceans a much better option than freshwater fishes for feeding to your marine aquarium."

You said freshwater animals. Freshwater crustaceans should be just fine to feed to marine fish (PE mysis?). Just being my usual nit-picky self. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the issue with the fish dying in captivity was fatty liver disease because of the higher fat content in freshwater fish, then should the same caution apply to fatty marine fish (mackerel etc). If smelt are anything like this (and salmon etc), would the same caution have to apply?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: