• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Researchers catch giant squid

TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- A Japanese research team has succeeded in filming a giant squid live -- possibly for the first time -- and says the elusive creatures may be more plentiful than previously believed, a researcher said Friday.

The research team, led by Tsunemi Kubodera, videotaped the giant squid at the surface as they captured it off the Ogasawara Islands south of Tokyo earlier this month. The squid, which measured about 24-feet long, died while it was being caught.

"We believe this is the first time anyone has successfully filmed a giant squid that was alive," said Kubodera, a researcher with Japan's National Science Museum. "Now that we know where to find them, we think we can be more successful at studying them in the future."

Giant squid, formally called Architeuthis, are the world's largest invertebrates. Because they live in the depths of the ocean, they have long been wrapped in mystery and embellished in the folklore of sea monsters, appearing in ancient Greek myths or attacking the submarine in Jules Verne's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

The captured squid was caught using a smaller type of squid as bait, and was pulled into a research vessel "after putting up quite a fight," Kubodera said.

"It took two people to pull it in, and they lost it once, which might have caused the injuries that killed it," he said.

The squid, a female, was not fully grown and was relatively small by giant squid standards. The longest one on record is 60 feet, he said.

Kubodera and his team had been conducting expeditions in the area for about three years before they succeeded in making their first contact two years ago. Last year, the team succeeded in taking a series of still photos of one of the animals in its natural habitat -- also believed to have been a first.

Until the team's successes, most scientific study of the creatures had to rely on partial specimens that had washed ashore dead or dying or had been found in the digestive systems of whales or very large sharks.

Kubodera said whales led his team to the squid. By finding an area where whales fed, he believed he could find the animals. He also said that, judging by the number of whales that feed on them, there may be many more giant squid than previously thought.

"Sperm whales need from 500 to 1,000 kilograms (1,100-2,200 pounds) of food every day," he said. "There are believed to be 200,000 or so of them, and that would suggest there are quite a few squid for them to be feeding on. I don't think they are in danger of extinction at all."

http://www.cnn.com/video/partners/click ... t.squid.ap

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of footage of paralarva Architeuthis, but nothing like this. When Kubodera got his snapshots of one last year, they were able to bring up an arm, which was still moving.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unarce":5yic6sja said:
I've seen a lot of footage of paralarva Architeuthis, but nothing like this. When Kubodera got his snapshots of one last year, they were able to bring up an arm, which was still moving.

That was a phenom documentary! I saw that (again) recently. I loved the detective work they did.

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All they did were to catch and kill it for they had no idea in how they might take it alive for I not know what the voice was saying in the video, but it sounded as he was mostly fascinated more then anything then in how they possibly take it alive in which is a serious sin/crime against nature :cry:

Buddy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old Man Of The Sea":x9z86hyd said:
All they did were to catch and kill it for they had no idea in how they might take it alive for I not know what the voice was saying in the video, but it sounded as he was mostly fascinated more then anything then in how they possibly take it alive in which is a serious sin/crime against nature :cry:

Buddy

How do you feel that is that any different from the mass deaths generated at all levels of our hobby? Or the deaths of animals at public aquariums that happen as staff learn how to care for different animals? Or animals that are killed for food for that matter?

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad for the many fish are being killed just for someone to have some beautiful fish in a small tank for you must know that the major money the lfs makes are from those who buy the same fish over and over again.

I not believe in that video that they were in search of a giant squid and so they not have any thoughts in trying to capture it alive in which case any research team out there should be ready for anything they might capture and be ready to accommodate it. For as well, it is one thing from the few new species discovered in far depths and of course that not have too much luck in keeping those alive, that however is one thing and the squid is another for im sure that you understand the function of a squid.

There are teams out there that are trying to preserve all marine life and I know that things do happen and I think they could had cut the line to release the squid, rather then being the cause for its death. But of course, that is my opinion and well all have some levels of different understandings which is why many times many of us will give a difference in opinion on some topics.

I just feel that they didn't have to kill it to catch it for I not believe they were in search for a giant squid. :( I seen one which was caught years ago far much larger, only it was dead too. It be a wonder too how many there might be of the species in which we have to believe are fewer then 50 years ago as the great white is today.

So as I pointed out, it is only in the matter of my own opinion and nothing more for the oceans are dying or rather the marine life is.

I can promise you for the one thing I know more of is that of the eel, that they too are lesser in numbers then from 50 years ago. Everything is becoming less in most marine life for you do know that the coral reef is becoming smaller and smaller>

But just what if the giant squid numbers are even fewer then the great white, what would you say to it then? For they have thousands of smaller squid for food, we not need to kill the larger species unless their numbers are well known in order to preserve their numbers.

And once again, this is only my opinion and nothing more :wink:

A Merry Christmas Too All

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were indeed in search of the giant squid. Ku, among others, has been searching for them for years and has spent much time and money on the research.
It appears that this particular squid was caught, got off the line, and got caught again. It is believed that this is what damaged it enough to kill it.
We know next to nothing about the behavior of the Giant and Colossal squids, and just about everything we do know about them has been from dead specimens. Even seeing one alive for a short time has made a big difference in our understanding.
Cutting the line would not have saved the squid. It was already damaged by the time it got to the surface. They didn't want it to die.
Ku's research is based on the idea that there are more big squid than we think, and following the animals that feed on them has made him successful in his research.
I am perfectly happy to have researchers pull up a squid that dies from time to time given that there are many that are brought up as by catch from fisherman. Researchers are lucky to get such by catch specimens, and its probable that many more are caught, killed and dumped by fisherman.
The reason for this catch is research, not sport or food. :D We cant even begin to protect them if we don't understand them, and at the present, we really don't understand them at all.

PS - most lfs make the bulk of their money from dry goods sales and initial set ups, not livestock. :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: