• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 5 blue green chromis, and they only school when they are about to be fed. Otherwise they are like 5 loose cannons.

I have 2 choices. Add 1 or 2 more and hope for a change

or

catch them and get rid of them.

So why do they not school? Perhaps ny reading mislead me?

I do like them only because of the schooling behavior that they are suppose to do. Other than that they are a very plain ordinary fish. If they just dont school like they should then they are gone, if I can catch them.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine only school when their on edge or during feeding. When they're relaxed, they're all over the water column.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They school as a defense mechanism. They feel safe in your tank so they have no reason to hang out together for safety.

I have heard that if you put a predatory fish in with them they will school together, but that doesn't sound worth it to me.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laura D":3vf92u9d said:
They school as a defense mechanism. They feel safe in your tank so they have no reason to hang out together for safety.

I have heard that if you put a predatory fish in with them they will school together, but that doesn't sound worth it to me.

Maybe I can by a battery operated dive with a spear to swim in the tank and scare them.

So basically I can expect them to swim freely regardless of numbers? I guess I may need to take them out, or feed them 24/7. Just kidding. Thank you.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sorty of prefer them spread out, since it's similar to how anthias swarm a natural reef. My Sohal does keep them on their toes, though, as he pretty much despises them.

If you want a sure thing for schooling, try the blue eye cardinal.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're nothing like goldfish. :?

Not the same body shape. Not the same swimming habits. Not the same personality.

They both ARE fish, and in that way they are alike. :wink:

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 3 blue chromis. My girlfriend even named them. They are like Don says, total loose cannons. When the big light goes out they will bunch up, other than that they are everywhere! 2 of them have been kissing lately?? I mean really going at it. Does this mean anything?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is how they fight.

Mine school when the blue tang is speeding around eating.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey doni, I have 5 chromis too, first thing is first, you have blue/green chromis? or blue reef chromis? I ordered blue reef chromis and got blue/green chromis. Big difference. i vote you get rid of the blue/greens and go for the blue reef, you'll be happier if the school or not.
But mine do kinda stick together for the most part (not always) but usually 2 or 3 hang out and 1 or 2 do there own thing, feeding time they don't school, it is a frenzy then they settle down and hang out again. Don't know what to tell you, but look up blue reef chromis and tell me what you think, they are much cooler. i don't like my blue/greens but no way to get them out and they are living well so they are here now!
searching for blue reef chromis they are hard to find!!!

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did they come with a warranty? tooth to tail warranty i hope.. :)

it is normal... i have 10 of them. they school and sometimes they don't. they all do their own things. i thought i would try obedience training but didnt want to invest the time and money into getting dive certified :)

anywho.... they are a great fish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unarce":1xe42j6d said:
If you want a sure thing for schooling, try the blue eye cardinal.

I'll second that. Great damn fish. That reminds me, I gotta go back to fattening mine up. They keep displaying spawning behaviour but haven't produced any eggs yet....

gregb1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":w48j31au said:
They're nothing like goldfish. :?

Not the same body shape. Not the same swimming habits. Not the same personality.

They both ARE fish, and in that way they are alike. :wink:
They are shaped a bit like a comet gold fish, the green chromis is anyway. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: