• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I am about to set up a fowlr. I like the fish the most but i think that the corals do look good. I asked down at my lfs and they said that i could keep some corals as long as i kept them high up so that they got sufficient light. I am using NO flouresent tubes, would this work, as fish will be the main occupants will the water quality be an issue. If this is possible could you tell me the best corals to keep. Thanks for help and Happy Christmas.

A

Anonymous

It would work if you had enough of the flourescent tubes. Depends on the tank but I would say one or two is not enough. Even then I wouldn't do anything more than mushrooms or other assorted polyps. I don't think they would be very colorful under that lighting unless you had a bunch of tubes.

You'll also need to make sure that the fish you are keeping aren't coral eaters.

CG1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm -- what are NO flourescents? Water quality is always an issue.

if you consider going with VHO flourescents, running actinics and 50/50's you can pretty much have any corals you desire.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you could do it. But FOWLR fish are often coral eaters. What fish do you have?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to change over from a freshwater to fowlr, get my tank drilled on the 8 jan hopefully. I have a corner tank that is 75 gallons, i would like to have two common clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 regal tang, 1 regal tang and a picasso trigger. I now what you are going to say about the trigger, my lfs has a picasso in there reef tank and they said that they have had no problems. They also said that i may, it just depends. I was going to put any possible corals quite high up on the live rock were the light is strongest. I don't want a vast amount of coral as i personal think the fish are better than the coral. I would like a few specimens if at all possible. Thankyou for your help.

davesafc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i kept a low light colt coral in a small 70l nano with only one marine bulb ( 50/50 i think) for about 2 months with no problems, it was about 12 inches below the surface and it opened right out, its only since i upgraded tp a largewr tank and triple t5's it went tits up and started hanging like a bunch of grapes but its picking up now.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that a 330l tank would be big enough, i have done some reading and books have said that 60 gallons is the smallest tank you should keep a tang in. Is that wrong. To the guy with the coral in the nano tank, you think that it will be ok? I was going to try it with one to see if it was ok, put it as close to the surface as possible. Have been contamplating in investing in some HO lights. The main thing for me is the fish. Thanks.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another opinion.. Not many people like mushrooms here very much, so you can easily try it. The loss, if it does occur will not be to bad. Now nobody take me wrong that I dont care about corals, just saying mushrooms would be a good expierment. Heck i even have a couple I would give you.

THey come in different colors and textures, so they may work, if they do you may hate me later when they start taking over your tank.. :lol:

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, as for the tang. I can speak from expierence with a sailfin tang in a 55 gallon. I started with him on the smaller side, with 1 of 2 intentions. 1 get rid of him when he got to big, or upgrade to a larger tank when the time came. I chose option # 2. Again, my opinion a tang can work, if it is a small one..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that a regal tang and a yellow tang would be ok for this size of tank? They are the ones that i would like to keep if possible. As for the corals, you think that mushroom corals would be ok, are they hard to control?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: