• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

davesafc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had my new tank for about a fortnight now and added about 6kg of cured rock since, i did have a 70l nano with 10kg of rock which was running for around 8 weeks before i transferred everything over then added the new. my livestock is 2 common percs 1 foxface 1 scopas tang 2 peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. and a few corals.

anyway, just sitting playing on laptop right next to the tank and heard a clicking noise like when you click your finger nails toghether, now ive heard that mantis make clicking sounds so if it is most likely a mantis what should i do? how do they affect the tank?

thanks, dave.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a snail being pushed against the glass by circulation, could be a thermometer tapping against the glass, could be a pistol shrimp or it could be a mantis shrimp. As a rule with mantis shrimp you'll hear quick repetitive popping or tapping sounds. After feeding the rest of your tank put in a small piece of raw shrimp and see if it will attract whatever critter it is. If it's a mantis and you're not target feeding it it will prey on your other tank inhabitants. Small snails to other shrimp, to fish.

mario

davesafc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ive only heard it 2/3 times tonight and both times in bursts of about 5 clicks in a few seconds, guess ill just keep an eye on it for now and hope for the best

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took care of my mantis by "rent" an octopus from my LFS for a week. That was when I was curing LR and no other livestock was introduced.

Since you already have a few shrimps in the tank, your best bet would be bait the mantis out. Stop all feeding for a week, and setup up the trap with raw shrimp everynight until you catch it.

Many people on the board would gladly take the mantis from you. They are afterall a very beautiful creature.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, a mantis is more intelligent than us. Getting an octopus is the best idea I have ever heard in dealing with a mantis.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They belong in a species only tank. They only live around a year or so and eat just about anything you give them from my understanding. They are also escape artist.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a tv show on mantis shrimp. they are crazy they said the the force that they use to strike with there claws is equivilent to that of a shotgun blast. This animal could easily shatter your tank!! just to let you know, some people have them and a lfs sells them near me. I would try to get it out, but then what do you do? bring it back to the lfs?
good luck

Christeon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a new tank would seperating the rock into seperate containers till he's down to one piece be out of the question?

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shavo":2lkwv65v said:
I watched a tv show on mantis shrimp. they are crazy they said the the force that they use to strike with there claws is equivilent to that of a shotgun blast. This animal could easily shatter your tank!! just to let you know, some people have them and a lfs sells them near me. I would try to get it out, but then what do you do? bring it back to the lfs?
good luck

I read on a board about this doctor who had his finger split completely into two longways. He later had it cut off due to infection. I also read when they click it actually produces a speck of light by the the force of the snap. They are bad to the bone boys. Then you have their I.Q.. It's been said they are actually intelligent. I fought one in a tank for two weeks of hell. Yeah...slowly seperate the rocks and don't touch the rocks. If by the grace of God it'll be a pistol shrimp and quite desirable.

davesafc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still havnt seen anything but was playing cards tonight and the wife heard the clicking noise, i asked if it could of been the thermomiter but she said it came from the back of the tank (she was sat at the side of it) so im hopeing it is a pistol (if a shrimp at all) my glass is about 1/2 inch thick so i should be ok rite? i havnt noticed anything going missing yet and hopefully wont but will keep you posted!

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your glass thickness is not enough for a shotgun blast is it? do some googling and look what they can do

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/msubpe ... 110498.htm

I would suggest staying up one night put some food in the tank with the lights out and see if something is in there. I think they sell traps for them maybe, not sure. They scare me but some people love them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chubosco":woghgmuk said:
Remember, a mantis is more intelligent than us. Getting an octopus is the best idea I have ever heard in dealing with a mantis.

Speak for yourself. ;)

I wouldn't suggest an octopus either.

davesafc

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any chance it could be some sort of crab? as ive just found i have a small crab its sort of off white in colour and about 1 cm across, its the shape of a common crab not a hermit little black pin pricks for eyes its just sitting on the rock but not moving in the last hour

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that a crab will make the clicking noise you are describing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: